xs650 ignition coils on xs400, possible?

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5055 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I posted in an old thread bout other coils, but thought I'd create new thread as no one responded....

Saw someone bought mikesxs coils to replace their old 78 XS400 coils, which is my bike (think mine and mikesxs coils are both 4ohm resistance so think they should work fine?) ...

Product 17-6805 here:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#product-17-6805

... What wire and cap from that site should I buy to make it work?

I saw some 5K Ohms and 1K Ohms caps there and I dont got a clue about the electronics aspect.

Also the stock 78 xs400 condensor is fine with those new coils?

Thanks!,

Arian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Arian

wanna save $5 per coil PARTSNMORE LINK get em from partsnmore RD400 ones are the same

cool, but may just do mikesxs if i need to get other stuff in 1 order.

Anyway, what exactly do i need to buy in addition to the coils to make them work?

Im guessing:

2 "Non-Resistor NGK Spark Plug Cap"

and

1 set of "Spark Plug High Tension Wires"

Also would the "XS Performance Ignition Coil" (there are a few of them, but Part #17-6807 says there is no danger of frying it compared to others) be a plug-n-play upgrade?

i see it says you need couple "5K OHM spark plug caps" and the "Spark Plug High Tension Wires"... says the performance ones has a 3.3ohms primary resistance. Think XS400 stock ones are 4ohm.

eh maybe i be better off getting the regular xs650 coils.

mine are 5k ohms resister caps, but the vendor I bought them off (carrot cycles) says its only for radio interferance purposes.

So i assume it can't hurt either way unless you have a TCI ignition which may expect a certain value.

drewps

The TCI shouldn't be affected by the resitor in the cap. Its purpose is for radio intereference, but you get a better spark with a resistor cap as the voltage builds up to a higher level before discharging across the resistor to the plug

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online