hi there :) YZF-R125 help?

Shauneo
This post is 5194 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

good afternoon guys and gals!

my first post, just registered with a few questions in mind :)

got my first bike about 3 months ago, its a 2010 YZF-R125 in white :), absolutly love it, its my child basically, always turning heads, quick off of the line and great MPG.

but, about 3 weeks ago it got nicked :( partly my fault but never mind, the insurance company is coughing up for a brand new one :D, so i picked black, y'know, for a change :P, so thats on its way in the next few weeks hopfully, gives me time to pick your brains, the very first trip im going to do on it is to the nearest place to fit some sort of electronic protection, emobiliser alarm etc, those kind of things, so any recomendations of things i could use? i want somthing decent, its going to be my main bike for 3 years so it needs to be pretty decent but within a couple hundred quid :)

second to that im going to get a disk brake lock, as an extra piece of preotection, any good ones to pick?

after security's sorted im going to be looking into mods, 2 main areas, derestrictions, any one got a r125 derestricted? how did you go about getting it done? whats the difference in performance? and the second thing is an exaust system, i was a pretty decent one, like i said its going to be my main bike for several years, what are the best road ones i can get? again, budget will be around 4-500£. after that what are some good mods and decails? id quite like to replace the cowl and headlamps, and remove the passenger pegs.

so if you managed to read that mess of text lol, please reply? thanks in advance :)

shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the Forum Shaun, I wouldn't recommend immobilisers of the electronic variety, they seem to be more hassle than their worth,

spend your £200 on an expensive chain and lock to go with it

(try for size-one thats wraps round the rear wheel twice is ideal-no slack makes it difficult to get bolt croppers on it)

, and cos they're cheap (ish) get 2 disc locks (use both at once), put it this way-if some theiving pikey wants your bike they're gonna have it, you can only slow them/make it more hassle to get it ;)

Welcome to the forum Shaun.

I second what barkwindjammer says.

IME the only thing stopping the thieving bstds, is you (and whatever you have in your hands ;)).

I can recommend Nigel at http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/ for a good alarm/ immobilizer, he was very helpful.

From what i have read though,the majority of bikes that are stolen are done so by people in vans, so an immobilizer isn't going to help a great deal in that respect, a big chain and noisy alarm is my choice.

And as you said your bike is a head turner, well that being the case you may want to keep an eye out for being followed ( home or to work etc) by pikeys in vans (especially white transits). Sounds paranoid i know, but I was followed around my local area late last year, three laps of the same roads before i went off road and lost them.

Vez.

Get yourself a Rottweiler and inject it with the aids virus, then put a big label on it saying it has aids and keep it tied to the bike at all times, (No rottweilers were harmed in the making of this post)

If the inevitable happens, and it does get stolen, I'd recommend a DataTag. Thatcham recognised safety device, so will lower your insurance premium down a wee bit (Seeing as yours will be rather high just after a claim)

Get somebody along the street to get one just like yours and then have more security than they do.

Sound calous?

Damn right but its what each and every one of us do when we lock up, personally i have 2 locks on the garage a D lock and a disk lock for out and about and a BF chain. I'm thinking of a ground anchor for the TDR as its a bit of a talking point as the local rif raf have realised what it is.

The best you can do is make it a bigger pain in the arse to steal than the next mans. Electronic stuff is a waste, data tag means you get some of it back and trackers mean its nicked twice, once they know its tracked they nick it a different way. There are only so many places to put a tracker.

The ONLY reliable way to save you bike being nicked is to lock it to a big solid lump of something with a BF chain.

thanks for all the help fellas! i've got an anchor ready to install, i'm picing up a couple of disk clamps when i get my new black one aswell, and i'll get a mahoosive chain for on the drive. means i can spend more money on performance upgrades, looking at the malossi big bore and the leo vince exaust for when i pass my big bike in the next few months. and some sexy decals saying 'dont nick my bike and dump it in a lake again please. thanks'

lol

shaun

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online