81 xs400 shift shaft replacement

DCornelius
This post is 5191 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my new shift shaft, and i for the life of me cant get the old one out.

The right side(if youre sitting on it), is giving me some trouble.

I got everything removed(covers, pedals etc) and i see both sides of the old shaft, but I cant get it out.

I think I need to remove the clutch?.. its a cylinder lookin thing with teeth and has a bunch of plates that alternate between having teeth and not having teeth in it, and its blocking the removal of the shift shaft.

advice?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got my new shift shaft, and i for the life of me cant get the old one out.

The right side(if youre sitting on it), is giving me some trouble.

I got everything removed(covers, pedals etc) and i see both sides of the old shaft, but I cant get it out.

I think I need to remove the clutch?.. its a cylinder lookin thing with teeth and has a bunch of plates that alternate between having teeth and not having teeth in it, and its blocking the removal of the shift shaft.

advice?

taken out the circlip on the left hand side? its under the black boot

yep, i got the clip out, and everything is totally unscrewed. Ive even had pieces fall out of the bike that I have no idea where they came from... so it might be a lost cause even if i do get the new shaft in.

But, here are some pictures of what im looking at.

2010-07-01160244.jpg

and a close up

2010-07-01160253.jpg

the shafts is block by what i think is the clutch there.... and Im just completely baffled.

Heres the other side just to show that everything is removed.

2010-07-01160311.jpg

will it not drop down far enough too clear the clutch, if you have too remove the clutch get the correct tool to hold the centre, if not you will break the basket and the tool will still seem very cheap compared to the replacing basket

merv

Not 100% sure bout this and maby i should keep my mouth shut but

Yes i thing you have to take the clutch out, even if you didnt there is probably a selector arm on the left side of the shaft.....if ya dont hold this in place while removing the shaft it will fall down....then ya will have to take the clutch out anyway to get it back in place. If it looks like ya cant get at the left side of the shaft to hold anything then me thinks is a clutch out job.

dont hold me to this though........whats your manual say

2 wheels the bottom pic is the left side of the shift shaft, they are the same as the Rd and i have done em in the past without removing the clutch no problem

merv

2 wheels the bottom pic is the left side of the shift shaft, they are the same as the Rd and i have done em in the past without removing the clutch no problem

merv

Thats good to know.

Maby he is being slightly to gentle

i will bow to Drewps superior knowledge here as have never worked ona XS

Merv

its the only way I could do it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online