1300 Midnight Star - Possible Clutch Problem

johns
This post is 5043 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just got a 1300 midnight star 2008 with 3000 miles on the clock, and really pleased with my purchase.

However, I find that the clutch feels as though it is not disengaging fully as there is a really heavy clunk when selecting gears especially first gear.

Is this just adjustment or is it a characteristic of the bike ?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have an 09 with 800 miles and 1st & 2nd gear selections are truly horiffic!

I have put it down to a clunky gear box and got used to it. local dealer reckons its all fine but I think the whole engine & tranny set up is noisy. I have been looking for some one else in my area to compair noises.

Hi, bought an 09, XVS1300a Midnight Star 3 weeks ago with 500 miles on the clock, added 700 miles to that and have also found the gear change clunky and noisy, I think it might be a standard issue with the machine. But just the same as you I think the bike is fantastic, so pleased I changed from the Dragstar XVS 650 to this one.

Thanks folks

Appreciate the feedback.

Been out riding all day on it on the mainland - it just loves the motorways. Gears not too bad when warmed up - brother in law suggests good oil change, flush, filter, fully synthetic oil 10-40 will help. As I don't know when all was changed last will try it.

i think 'horrific' is going a bit far, many motorcycles clonk into first, and 1st to 2nd has been notorious for years, on many makes of motorcycle... and i admit our's is pretty bad for it, If you paid £8000 for a car and the the gear change was as bad as ours you would instantly return it, unfortunately it's how they are ...mines done 3,500 m now and it's still the same, i find a pair of steel toe capped engineers boots and earplugs tends to mask the sensations a little, the earplugs also help with what i would describe as valve train noise, this is not a sweet,sweet sounding engine and gearbox, acceptable, but not as sweet as we've learned to expect from japanese engineers.

Still better than a harley though

I agree its not the slickest gear selection on 1st and 2nd. I've about 3k miles on mine now, and I think it has eased a little, although it still clonks going into 1st. Gets better when its warmed up.

Going from 1 to 2...you can try and slow this change down, almost pause for a fraction of a second as you pass through neutral, it will go in much more sweetly. Also helps if you don't rev the nuts off it in first :)

Check the free play on the clutch lever is correct - manual says 5 - 10mm. I've mine set at the minimuml.

Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online