TZR 50 -

Zircon
This post is 5185 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

TZR 50 2 Stroke 50cc

Iv just got some new forks after an accident involving gravel on the road . While the bike was in the Garage I ran Redex through the system to clean it out ( loads of black crap came out the exhaust ). However the bike will no longer start under the starter motor ( used to be fine before ) and needs bump starting ..... the engine runs for a few seconds before dying completely and needs bumping again ( Still has a good 3-4 L in the tank )

I really cant figure out what is wrong and was looking forward to being back on the road again :(

Any help appreciated

Many Thanks

Jordan Baxter

[email protected]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I hate that Redex crap.

Was nothing else damaged in your accident?

If black stuff came out of your exhaust then maby that crap Redex did work a little. If it did then you probably have a more free flowing exhaust so now you will probably have to re-adjust the throttle stop and the air mixture screw.

get a compression test! could be your piston rings. similar thing happened to me, my bike wouldnt start unless i bumped it then would die after a few seconds found it was the piston rings that had gone. but as i said get a compression test done just to rule it out then ul know where to start. :D

Ive just noticed before the Bike dies the lights cut out , and the starter motor has no power to turn over again. My brother in his infinite wisdom hooked my battery up to the same charger he has for his SV650, after the battery ran flat, If the battery is fried could this be the cause ?

Thank you for the reply's :)

Nope nothing else was damaged , the bike started up fine and ran very well almost everyday in the garage.

Ill look into getting a compression test done , however i live in a small town with only 1 privately owned motorcycle garage :( so i wouldnt know where to get one done.

Thanks again guys, im beggining to see hope in this little bike now !

After the bike dies, straight away take out the plug, put it back into its HT lead, earth it on the engine and see if you have any spark. Is There a kickstart on her?

kk ill try the spark plug for a spark , There isnt any kick start on her its only Starter motor. Just seems wierd that it ran well then all of a sudden its decided to die .. and just as i got it fit for the road again :( Another thing to note .... is that its a bloody hard job to bump start it ( needs someone sat on the bike and someone else pushing )

Ive just noticed before the Bike dies the lights cut out , and the starter motor has no power to turn over again. My brother in his infinite wisdom hooked my battery up to the same charger he has for his SV650, after the battery ran flat, If the battery is fried could this be the cause ?

This post sounds like it might be an electrical fault. Do the plug test now and check for spark. Check all the plus and minus wires on the bike. (battery and any you can find going to the frame.)

kk ill try the spark plug for a spark , There isnt any kick start on her its only Starter motor. Just seems wierd that it ran well then all of a sudden its decided to die .. and just as i got it fit for the road again :( Another thing to note .... is that its a bloody hard job to bump start it ( needs someone sat on the bike and someone else pushing )

This post makes me think you have a more serious prob.

Have you tried jump starting? This could help since you will be technically running enough power through the bike for it to charge its own battery and let it tick over for a while then turn it off after maybe 15 mins and then try and start on its own?

Have you tried jump starting? This could help since you will be technically running enough power through the bike for it to charge its own battery and let it tick over for a while then turn it off after maybe 15 mins and then try and start on its own?

Yeh i think its the Numerous bump start that have knackered the battery, to such a degree is wont provide enough of a spark ... I'm gonna take a trip to the local bike shop on Monday to get a new battery and see how that goes ... if not looks like the whole bike it going up! :P

... if not looks like the whole bike it going up! :P

Dont give up so easy, she will run good again !!! :thumb:

I'm not taking the bike up for sale :P I'm taking it up for a close inspection from someone with more know how then me ! ... Well after iv tried a new battery. I'm almost sure the battery has fried as today I "trickle" charged it for a while, whilst working and it started up perfectly 1st time ! however after 10-20 seconds it died and it had no juice ! However with all the trouble this bike has caused me I've learn allot of self maintenance.

Ill be sure to keep you guys informed and maybe see a few of you on the road before long !

Jordan

Keep it up mate, you are learning fast, you will get it going, i am thinking you ran redex through it, has it all cleared??

or is the redex oiling up the plug, get it going and give it a good run to clear the thing out

merv

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a mechanic look at it :) It appears the fuel jets have been blocked up ( probs the result of flushing out a load of crap with redex :| ) She just needs an MOT now :) Cheers for the Helps and suggestions Guys :)

Learnt allot :)

Jordan

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online