Engine Information XS 500

Macydee
This post is 5084 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just bought a yamaha xs 500 engine from a breaker which I am renovating.

I was told it was an import but that is all I know.

Does anyone know who I can contact about getting more details and info about the the engines history.

Also as I understand the same engine was used in the tx. I was wondering if it was used in any more models and what the differences were in specification.

I will be looking for a frame and am uncertain which other frames I can use. I am going to make some modifications to the finished bike but wanna try and keep frame and engine as original as pos so its not too much of a mishmash of bits and bobs

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

What are the 1st 3 digits of your engine number, I have a xs500b no starts 371 for the b & tx500 later modes start 1H2 which is the one you want as they have the one piece head.

Good luck with the project.

Hi

What are the 1st 3 digits of your engine number, I have a xs500b no starts 371 for the b & tx500 later modes start 1H2 which is the one you want as they have the one piece head.

Good luck with the project.

Hey

Looks like I have the xs500b too as the 1st 3 digits are 371.

Thanks for that. It helps..

Here's the parts list for your engine

http://www.cmsnl.com...8478/partslist/

Thanks again.

I have myself a haynes manual for the earlier models, which is proving helpful, but I have noticed a few small variations in the workings of the engine.

Also the electrical diagram that they have on your link looks like the kind of diagram that would be more useful to me as my skill in that department leave a bit to be desired. So the simpler the better.

Electrics are a bit down the line at the mo.

Space to work on it is a bit of an issue at the minute so I am planning on striping it giving it a good clean. Think I will resemble it then just to get my head round how it all works and so I am really clear on what goes where. Have never touched an engine before so it all new to me. Have boxed it all and am taking lots of pics... seems all quite straight forward though. Exciting too.

might get some work done on the cylinders and the valves (they are stuck fast at the mo) need to do some research there as I did read that the cylinder head had a tendency to crack on these bikes and I don't want to end up doing work that may promote that problem.

Lots of big learning curves and am enjoying the process.

cheers again

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online