Infate tires using spark plug hole???

exess4
This post is 5133 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone here tried that, done that, "manufactured" it?

Maybe HoughMade? Are we bordering on eccentricity?

Is this a sound or safe idea even for a roadside emergency?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And fill the tyre with air fuel mixture? :blink:

As its 'contained' I suppose it would be safe, but doubt it would do the rubber any good :unsure:

Yep, I've seen them. Ones I have seen were home made. They drilled out a spark plug and attached a length of air hose with a filler valve at the end. I think someone made have sold a manufactured version.

HOWEVER, I have only seen them used off road in emergency situations. Then the tire is dismounted back in civilization, cleaned out and refilled. I don't recommend it. Now, I do not endorse this, but perhaps on a fuel injected bike where you could unplug the injector on the cylinder you are using, it would be safer, but I won't be the test case.

I fully agree and concur and no argument here so it's almost unanimous then.

I was going to scan a page of the magazine where I got the idea, MC_MJ10_cover_web.jpg but turns out I don't even have to do that.

How not to make it there and back if you inflate your tires this way.

Six tips for survival: How to make it there, and back again

• Make sure everything is lubed and tight.

• Check all suspension bushings and wheel and steering bearings.

• Never leave on a trip with worn tires. If you think you will need them before you return, replace them before you leave.

• Carry plenty of spare parts. For this trip I carried spare brake and clutch levers, fuses, electrical tape, a spare voltage regulator rectifier, fork seals, brake pads, throttle, clutch and rear brake cables, bulbs, lenses, spare inner tubes, tire tools and some RTV silicone.

• Be able to fix a flat tire. I carry a hose that screws in place of a spark plug so I can use my engine as an air compressor if I get a flat tire.

• The back roads are scenic, but lack gas stations. It doesn’t matter if you just filled up 30 miles ago, if you see another gas station, fill up again.

This list includes some good and many obvious, but seems lacking for 3 weeks of riding.

A small 12v air pump attached via a hella plug is FAR better.

Or, you can get the puncture repair kits with a valve and small mini-cylinders of compressed air - The kind they use on life jackets.

Or, you can get the puncture repair kits with a valve and small mini-cylinders of compressed air

Trust me, after using three of these canisters trying to pop a tyre bead back on, they are useless!

On tubless tyres where the bead is OK, they'll give you just enough air to get to a garage - as long as you don't need to go far, other than that, in my experience (and a 6" nail) a normal bike pump is way better!

Trust me, after using three of these canisters trying to pop a tyre bead back on, they are useless!

On tubless tyres where the bead is OK, they'll give you just enough air to get to a garage - as long as you don't need to go far, other than that, in my experience (and a 6" nail) a normal bike pump is way better!

Thats good to know...I carry a kit with just the cylinders on my bike, ( I have a couple of extra clinders) but might look for a small compressor as well. Some of the 12 volt ones are very small with the plastic covers removed.

You'd be hoping to pop a bead back with eiether of these. Anyone seen that done with lighter fluid?

I was just talking inflating.

You can get extra/bigger mini-cylinders anyway.

The point was that they are far less dangerous than the other option mentioned, though!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online