Correct way to check oil level on TX500, XS500?

ramblerdrver
This post is 5071 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I shouldn't have to ask this question, but....when checking the oil level on a TX500, and I suppose on a XS500, should the "dip stick" be screwed in all the way or not screwed in at all??? The owners manual for my 74 TX500 doesn't say which way...the Clymer Manual says don't screw it in...the factory service manual doesn't say either. It would seem to be important, as screwed in the dip stick would be about 1/2" farther into the oil. So, which way is correct? The crankcase indicates 3000cc of oil, but I believe that is without filter, but again the owners manual doesn't say that. ??? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I shouldn't have to ask this question, but....when checking the oil level on a TX500, and I suppose on a XS500, should the "dip stick" be screwed in all the way or not screwed in at all??? The owners manual for my 74 TX500 doesn't say which way...the Clymer Manual says don't screw it in...the factory service manual doesn't say either. It would seem to be important, as screwed in the dip stick would be about 1/2" farther into the oil. So, which way is correct? The crankcase indicates 3000cc of oil, but I believe that is without filter, but again the owners manual doesn't say that. ??? Thanks

Hi, Don't screw in the dipstick when checking the oil level. Just let it rest on the rim. Check the oil level after the engine has been running idle for a few minutes. 3000 cc of oil should be enough but always check the oil level after renewal. SuXSes!

Hi, Don't screw in the dipstick when checking the oil level. Just let it rest on the rim. Check the oil level after the engine has been running idle for a few minutes. 3000 cc of oil should be enough but always check the oil level after renewal. SuXSes!

Thanks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online