xvs 125 (bobber) project

Paulwhite
This post is 4741 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all just postin the latest pics of me project and what iv done so far!

just want to know what do you think? any ideas on how to improve it? and yeah i know it could do with an engine! lol :D

what it looked like when striped:

100406_182829.jpg

tank preped and primed ready for paint:

100513_145902.jpg

tank with 1st set of paint on it (i cant decide what to do! leave it as it is or put racing stripes on it?):

100516_152614.jpg

front wheel all finished:

100_1693.jpg

rear end setup:

100516_152640.jpg

side view:

100516_150523.jpg

right so yeah...tell me what u think. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've seen LOADS of awesome bobbers with RED wheels?!

Nothing wrong with it - you want it to stand out :)

I think, when I pass my test, I can see myself commencing a project very similar to this :P

What are you going to put on the rear with regards to fenders? Do you have to buy specific fenders for xvs? Or are they generally universal? I know bobbers have a really small almost half-wheel fender on the back - what are you going to do for that??

Chris

Thanks for the pics. It's always useful to see how the bike looks like once stripped. Opinion? hmmmmm. Go to the nearest shop and get some paint removal and clear the mess you did with those wheels. To be honest I've never seen such a horrible and tacky job. But if you like it, have fun.

It would give me shivers imagining my bike ending up like yours.

im guessing u dont like the bobber stile. and as to the "horrible and tacky job" i cant see where ur coming from?

the pictures dont do it any justice but i think the finish is quite good even if they are red!. I dont think you appreciate the work involved in painting chrome unless you have a lab to do your own electrolysis. but each to there own, if you want to ride round on a mass produced bike that everyone can own then im not going to boo you for it, cause i know il be riding on something that iv made my own, in every sense custom, in every sense original and unique.

I've seen LOADS of awesome bobbers with RED wheels?!

Nothing wrong with it - you want it to stand out :)

I think, when I pass my test, I can see myself commencing a project very similar to this :P

What are you going to put on the rear with regards to fenders? Do you have to buy specific fenders for xvs? Or are they generally universal? I know bobbers have a really small almost half-wheel fender on the back - what are you going to do for that??

Chris

im making my own fenders for it out of fiberglass, im not sure you CAN, buy parts like the ones id need that will fit.

but my reason for making it out of fiberglass is cause its light and easy to work with plus im making my own LED rear light setup, you wont be able to see any bulbs or lights till you turn the lights on cause they will be inside the fender.........iv still got to do some tests to see if i can make it work. failing that il go for the clasic bobber rear light lol.

Oh wow. Is it hard to make fenders from fiberglass?!

I think if it is - when I eventually move on to a bigger bike - I'll just grind the fenders down until I've got enough covering my arse!

I'm not sure what I'd do with the rear lights then - maybe I'll think of something. I'm going to wait until I move onto a bigger bike first.

Your idea for the LED back lights sounds great - would you have to cut holes in the fender?? You made it sound as if the lights would shine THROUGH the fiberglass...?

Are you going to put the standard bobber seat on it? And are they universal? Or again - are you going to have to find a specific one? I like the way you've got your sissybar there to - will look really good.

What are you going to do about pipes? Have you got the standard exhausts fitted to the XVS125? Or are you going to upgrade a little...? I really like the pipes on the first link I sent you.. if you've looked? I think that's got a bigger engine, although, would you still be able to make/fit pipes like that? Are those pipes "make-able" or do you have to get em from somewhere?

I'm just putting questions into your mind here so you can spark off some ideas for your bike :)

Chris

Oh wow. Is it hard to make fenders from fiberglass?!

I think if it is - when I eventually move on to a bigger bike - I'll just grind the fenders down until I've got enough covering my arse!

I'm not sure what I'd do with the rear lights then - maybe I'll think of something. I'm going to wait until I move onto a bigger bike first.

Your idea for the LED back lights sounds great - would you have to cut holes in the fender?? You made it sound as if the lights would shine THROUGH the fiberglass...?

Are you going to put the standard bobber seat on it? And are they universal? Or again - are you going to have to find a specific one? I like the way you've got your sissybar there to - will look really good.

What are you going to do about pipes? Have you got the standard exhausts fitted to the XVS125? Or are you going to upgrade a little...? I really like the pipes on the first link I sent you.. if you've looked? I think that's got a bigger engine, although, would you still be able to make/fit pipes like that? Are those pipes "make-able" or do you have to get em from somewhere?

I'm just putting questions into your mind here so you can spark off some ideas for your bike :)

Chris

using fibreglass isnt hard its just messy look it up on youtube, and yeah im hopin the lights will shine through the fibreglass.....somehow (still need to do some tests).

and as for the bobber seat they are universal but im going to make my own out of wood but still need to find a decent size chunk of pine. and last but not least pipes. im going to use a pitbike engine so it will be a modified pitbike exhaust that will run under the bike then split into two exits either side the bottom frame at the back.

as to the sissy bar its more comfort than looks but still undecided to keep it or not.

hi all just postin the latest pics of me project and what iv done so far!

just want to know what do you think? any ideas on how to improve it? and yeah i know it could do with an engine! lol :D

what it looked like when striped:

100406_182829.jpg

tank preped and primed ready for paint:

100513_145902.jpg

tank with 1st set of paint on it (i cant decide what to do! leave it as it is or put racing stripes on it?):

100516_152614.jpg

front wheel all finished:

100_1693.jpg

rear end setup:

100516_152640.jpg

side view:

100516_150523.jpg

right so yeah...tell me what u think. :D

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.! :)

Well I haven't seen many bobbers with sissybars - I think it looks okay, it will still look good either way matey!

A wood seat? Man that's going to hurt you bum!

I really like the style of exhausts on the first link I sent you - do you have to buy them like that? Or is there a way to make them??

i think you need to put in some more colour keys to balance out the wheels. on the tank maybe?

you need a spring seat for that and remove the rear fender mount for somethng less intrusive and use a front fender on the rear to mount your rear lamp setup

68-222.jpg

good start, and keep it up!

Can you attach a front fender to the rear?

I was thinking about a little project like this myself - but am at a loss for a rear fender. I don't really fancy making one myself but I want the classic bobber "close fit" style of fender. Of course - that's not possible with the fender mount already fitted (I think mine is exactly the same), so what solutions do we have for that? Is it easy to remove the fender mount? And then after that would it be easy to mount the front fender to the rear?

Regards

Chris

cheers for the pic drewpy i like the look of that light! and as to the tank my idea is to put a red and white stripe (kinda like what u see on a car) going from the speedo to the seat but it will only be about 3-4 inch wide plus il be painting the dragstar badge red with black writing to try and even up the colour scheme.

as to the wood seat it will be padded with proper foam set into the wood, iv got to make a bracket so i can attach the springs to it.

and the rear fender carryers will need to be cut off with a grinder, and the front fender wont fit on the rear cause the width of the tire is too great. but once i make one il post a how too. you might b able to buy one but i havent looked to b honest

If I'm honest - you can buy that type of piping for gas - so probably could make one easily :)

What have you replaced your rear shocks with? Did you just make a bit of metal to fit?

Regards

Chris

If I'm honest - you can buy that type of piping for gas - so probably could make one easily :)

What have you replaced your rear shocks with? Did you just make a bit of metal to fit?

Regards

Chris

piping? i dont understand what u mean?

as to the shocks iv just roughly fabricated the bar from 16mm steel tubing, just needed to see what the ride height should be then i can take that bar to size up some rear shocks, if i cant find any the size i need then il just use the tubing and do it properly.

piping? i dont understand what u mean?

as to the shocks iv just roughly fabricated the bar from 16mm steel tubing, just needed to see what the ride height should be then i can take that bar to size up some rear shocks, if i cant find any the size i need then il just use the tubing and do it properly.

and to add i cant see any vids im using a usb modem for mobile broadband (way too slow!!!) so i cant watch the vid uv posted.

but as to exhausts a yammaha one wont fit on the engine that im getting, plus i like the sound of a deep pitbike engine so i might as well use the exhausts off of one. :D plus id have to custom make them and at 35 quid for the complete exhaust i cant grumble! :D

they are called struts, the ones that replace the shocks

you can get all sorts of different width fenders to suit

here's an xs400 front on a rear

beakersbobber.jpg

nice looking bike and id rather have rear suspention due to the roads being rather crap round my way but am just having trouble finding any small enough (need ones that are about 1 inch smaller than the originals) but as to the front fender i havent actualy tried it for size but it looks way to small for the width of the tire plus im wanting to sell it to fund some other parts i need.

i doo like that xs400

oh dont suppose you know where to get white wall tiers that will fit the 125 dragstar? im not needing any yet (just got new ones) but would like to get some in the futue. :)

The "piping" I referred to was similar to the style in the picture above...

Where do you get them?

I've seen a couple of places selling white-wall tires - but im not sure if they would specifically fit an xvs?

Regards

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online