Complete Newbie - XVS 125 question

christofeser
This post is 5101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay thanks.

I think on the exhaust pipe which is really black I might go with the wire-brush & drill combo with some Hammerite, ........

Chris

If you are talking of the exhaust pipe not the covers, you cannot use hammerite here because they get very hot. I would recommend using Plasti-kote barbecue paint available from Wilkinsons stores and B&Q. They are aerosol so you may have to remove the exhaust from the bike, or if you paint them on-board do lots of masking and you wont be able to do them completely.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Even extremely heat resistant Araldite?

My dad has tons, and assures me it's heat-resistant... :s I think I trust you lot more :)

I'll try the horseshoe ones then...

Instead of the wilko aerosols, can I paint on with Hammerite like someone suggested? Could I use a paintbrush to do this, or do I have to buy aerosol hammerite too? It just seems easier painting it and getting into nooks and crannies with a paint pot and brush than having to remove/mask up a load of parts.

Cheers

Even extremely heat resistant Araldite?

My dad has tons, and assures me it's heat-resistant... :s I think I trust you lot more :)

I'll try the horseshoe ones then...

Instead of the wilko aerosols, can I paint on with Hammerite like someone suggested? Could I use a paintbrush to do this, or do I have to buy aerosol hammerite too? It just seems easier painting it and getting into nooks and crannies with a paint pot and brush than having to remove/mask up a load of parts.

Cheers

No you cannot use hammerite on exhausts. However I think you can indeed buy exhaust manifold paint as a brush on instead of aerosol, at least you could do a few years ago because I have some in the garage somewhere.

Okay I'll have a search around.

Probably end up using the Wilko stuff as it's more convenient. I don't REALLY know too much about taking exhaust pipes off either (is it simple) so I'll have to masking-tape it up. That would be okay right?

Cheers

okayokay.

So many choices! This forum has spoilt me for advice :)

So POA (plan of action) for tomorrow is:

1. Wirebrush down all relevant parts

2. hand-paint exhaust with heat-proof paint - preferably exhaust manifold paint.

3. hand-paint all other relevant parts which need touching-up with Hammerite (that will do if it's not a "hot-part" right)

4. Head down to B&Q and find necessary screws to attach heat-guard safely.

5. Attach heat-guard safely.

5. Hitch my girl up on the back and ride her around on my shiney bike :)

cheers!

chris.

p.s

6. Take some pics, upload them, and show you fruit of all your advice :)

okayokay.

So many choices! This forum has spoilt me for advice smile.gif

So POA (plan of action) for tomorrow is:

1. Wirebrush down all relevant parts

2. hand-paint exhaust with heat-proof paint - preferably exhaust manifold paint.

3. hand-paint all other relevant parts which need touching-up with Hammerite (that will do if it's not a "hot-part" right)

4. Head down to B&Q and find necessary screws to attach heat-guard safely.

5. Attach heat-guard safely.

5. Hitch my girl up on the back and ride her around on my shiney bike smile.gif

cheers!

chris.

p.s

6. Take some pics, upload them, and show you fruit of all your advice smile.gif

Thats the spirit Chris !thumb.gif

With your exhaust newly painted it will cure better if it is slowely heated- so when you have it all painted up

go for short spins till the exhaust is hot to toutch, then let it cool for a while. repeat doing this rather than going for 1 long drive !

Thats what i would do under your circumstances anyway.

Haha this is too much fun :)

Now to address some scratches with a little rust around the muffler - like I said, it does look like it has been dropped at some point, and has some scratches along it. Not too bad, but still, I WANT IT SHINEY! Nonetheless, would normal chrome polish help the cosmetics of this? Also, what's the standards of most chrome paints? Could I spray over in an effort to cover it up a little?

Chris

Haha this is too much fun :)

Now to address some scratches with a little rust around the muffler - like I said, it does look like it has been dropped at some point, and has some scratches along it. Not too bad, but still, I WANT IT SHINEY! Nonetheless, would normal chrome polish help the cosmetics of this? Also, what's the standards of most chrome paints? Could I spray over in an effort to cover it up a little?

Chris

right if you want to paint over chrome then ur in for a big job! try chrome polish (i use autosol its about £3 a tube ) put the polish o,n rub it in then let dry for 5 min then buff it off. should give it a good shine and cover up light scratches.

Beat you to it! An old friend (about 60 years old!) down at one of those local "we-sell-everything" hardware stores said it would be easier to just get some good old polish on, rather than re-doing the paint. Plus, he said it would be obvious if I painted over the chrome scratches. I'll do it this afternoon and post some pics.

Chris

Beat you to it! An old friend (about 60 years old!) down at one of those local "we-sell-everything" hardware stores said it would be easier to just get some good old polish on, rather than re-doing the paint. Plus, he said it would be obvious if I painted over the chrome scratches. I'll do it this afternoon and post some pics.

Chris

nice one lol

i dont like chrome anymore, too much cleaning for my liking! :) then if you polish it and happen to touch it you need to buff it and being the perfectionist i am, it just took too long to go to get ready to go out to a meet. so im re-painting mine and getting rid of as much chrome as i dare :D il b putting up me own post when iv rebuilt the bike with loads of pics so keep ur eyes pealed.

ah cool!

It's really good to see other people's ideas so I can get ideas for myself.

Yeah keep us posted on your bike. Is it another XVS?

I know chrome is a hassle, but I'm just like a magpie when it comes to bikes. I LIKE THEM SHINY!

I feel important, rocking up on a big-fat-shiney-bike, even if it is only a 125 :P

ah cool!

It's really good to see other people's ideas so I can get ideas for myself.

Yeah keep us posted on your bike. Is it another XVS?

I know chrome is a hassle, but I'm just like a magpie when it comes to bikes. I LIKE THEM SHINY!

I feel important, rocking up on a big-fat-shiney-bike, even if it is only a 125 :P

yeah its an 04 xvs 125 but the engine blew so thaught id turn my hand to a complete re-model to turn it into a bobber B) iv painted the wheels, de-rusted the whole frame and re- painted it, just about half way with the tank ( cant decide to leve it matt black or to put a red and white stripe on it) and i need to make some fenders oh and nearly forgot ......buy an engine. :D

Haha,

Just a question. If the donor bike is a 125 dragstar, can you put a bigger engine in it??

Also, are you painting most of it black? Like exhausts and everything? Make it look like a midnight star? Or ever a Harley night rod?? (man I love them bikes).

Chris

Haha,

Just a question. If the donor bike is a 125 dragstar, can you put a bigger engine in it??

Also, are you painting most of it black? Like exhausts and everything? Make it look like a midnight star? Or ever a Harley night rod?? (man I love them bikes).

Chris

ok

1. the xvs 125 is exactly the same as the xvs 250 (only the engine is bigger!) so the answer is yes but you need to consider safety (e.g trying to stop at 130mph with drum breaks = not good) but im going to use a 125 ooracing engine (www.ooracing.com) which can take a 140cc head so il get about 19bhp

2. yes i am painting it mostly black the only chrome i want is the mirrors, centre clock casing , top of forks and the petrol cap everything else is, or will be black .

3. im going for the old school bobber stile just type in bobber in google images and ul see what im on about.

Wow a bit of a project... what's the budget??

I wish I had enough disposable cash and enough know-how to get some projects going.

I don't know why, I've just fallen in love with the Night Rod Harley... I just love that style... (am I allowed to say that on a Yamaha forum?! haha)

I think I've seen midnight stars slightly similar to it... I'm not sure how a dragstar would look w/o the chrome and painted matt black???

Chris

Wow a bit of a project... what's the budget??

I wish I had enough disposable cash and enough know-how to get some projects going.

I don't know why, I've just fallen in love with the Night Rod Harley... I just love that style... (am I allowed to say that on a Yamaha forum?! haha)

I think I've seen midnight stars slightly similar to it... I'm not sure how a dragstar would look w/o the chrome and painted matt black???

Chris

well im doing it on as little money as posible so far iv spent £20 on paint then probs another £10 on brushes and sand paper, the most expensive thing will be the engine at about £700 but its a brand new racing tuned engine so well worth it! then probs say another £100 to make the fenders and wiering loom then its about £60 to get it registerd for road use all in all iv budgeted about £1000 to build it, mod it and get it on the road but its cheeper than buying a new bike which is efectivley what this will be (brand spanking new) when its finished :D

il post some pics up sometime this week, might do a brain storming post to get some ideas, just keep looking and ul see it.

i dont get alot of cash cause im out of work at the mo so just saving a fiva a week plus im floggin all the extra bits that i dont need like the old broken engine, fenders, seat ect.but im hoping to get it all sorted for next year then i can take it to some shows and meets most likely M.F.N. and matlock bath.

as for experiance i havent got any qualifications or anything and this is the 1st bike iv ever rebuilt so its a bit of a learning curve at the mo but just read up on how to do things on the internet and give them a go!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online