XS 750 Carb Issues/Idle Issues

willi183
This post is 5123 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright, I appreciate all the help from last time... so let's see if it works again. I have a 79 XS750. The guy before me removed the air box and put the "pods" on it while also re-jetting it.

His set up:

Main Jets: 137.5

Pilot Jet: 42.5

Needle: Slot 3

With this set up I had issues with it idling down and when you rolled through on the throttle it would bog down. Thus, I read on another forum that there could be a couple issues. They recommended the jets increased/needle movement.

New set up:

Main Jets: 157.5

Pilot Jets: 42.5

Needle: Slot 2

I replaced the main jets with larger ones to let more fuel through, but left the pilots the same because I didn't have any extras laying around. Next, I thought the idling issue may be due to the needle placement... so I lowered them one slot to see if more fuel would be available and it wouldn't die out.

After riding it... the new jets seem to help with the pick up and our fuel that is getting fed into the carbs... my question is that the bike won't idle down at all. It stays idol for about 3 or 4 secs than dies like it's not getting fuel. I tried to adjust the idle screw, but when I do that it just idles way to high. I was hoping anyone had suggestions. Unfortunately, going back to the stock air box is out of the question I would like to keep what I have. Also, the carbs are Mikuni BS34's. Thanks for the help in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online