1982 Sr 250 starting problems

srtellez
This post is 5118 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey. Im definitely new to motorcycles in general. I have a problem with starting my bike. It's a 1982 Sr 250. When i bought the bike it had a new battery. The problem was when i would hit the start button the starter solenoid would just click. I'd have to put the bike in gear, rock it back and forth, then put it back in neutral and then it'd turn over and start.(Sometimes after a few time of doing this process) Now only the starter solenoid clicks continually and doesn't turn over at all. So my question is does this just sound like a bad starter solenoid? And can you bypass the solenoid to make sure its not the starter? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey. Im definitely new to motorcycles in general. I have a problem with starting my bike. It's a 1982 Sr 250. When i bought the bike it had a new battery. The problem was when i would hit the start button the starter solenoid would just click. I'd have to put the bike in gear, rock it back and forth, then put it back in neutral and then it'd turn over and start.(Sometimes after a few time of doing this process) Now only the starter solenoid clicks continually and doesn't turn over at all. So my question is does this just sound like a bad starter solenoid? And can you bypass the solenoid to make sure its not the starter? Thanks

Sure, you can bypass.

Use a thick wire or just any thick piece of iron will do.

Best to first fix one thick wire on the lowest one of the solenoid terminals. This is neutral, connected to startmotor. The upper one goes to battery (+); put there some thick wire on but carefull that its blank never touches the frame (-).

When you connect these wires you get sparks (firm touching = less sparks) and the startmotor turns if not at fault.

If startmotor turns then solenoid is at fault. Repair might be easier, much cheaper and faster then finding a new one. Just use some time, solder, a smooth file and effort.

You unscrew the nuts of terminals. Unsolder the two thin wires from the small bushes that go inside; unsolder more and pull separating the solenoid so that the inner wires come loose from these bushes. (Solder all clean, so you can easily put back later)

Take things apart.

You can turn upside down the contact plates. File (careful) all contacts flat and clean. (If you like, finish with rubbing paste or very fine sandpaper flat on piece of glass.)

Put all back together, guiding inner wires into copper bushes, solder full and solder outer wires back on.

I did this one month ago. My solenoid is now as new, good for another 30 years.

This repair won't do no harm, but I am afraid your startmotor needs attention.

Take of left footrest, shift pedal and carter cover. Undo wire and clean contacts (also at solenoid and battery). Try start with all wires connected, clean and greased contacts.

If NO Start.

Repair startmotor.

If you take off the startmotor its sprocket will drop into right cartercover.

So you must take this off. Drain oil first. Take off right footrest, unscrew oil filter and remove carter cover. Keep brake pedal down on hold.

On right side you must (let) make new gasket.

Replace oil seal in right cover.

On left and right cover replace all old screws with stainless allen screws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online