1982 yamaha seca xs400 questions

stealth94
This post is 5133 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My name is Mike

I live in Wisconsin of the United States

So i have recently (4 years ago) come into possession of a 1982 yamaha seca xs400 chain drive, its a very fun bike, needs some tlc but otherwise very nice. I was wondering how do you find out the exact model. i went onto bikebandit.com to buy some parts and they asked me if it was a xs400j or xs400sj and some other sites asked if it was xs400r. I have no idea what the differnece is, so i was looking to you professionals for help.

Also do they make some sort of larger jet kit for this bike to give a little more pep. Or can larger jets or whole carbs from another bike be substituted in?

Or is there any other way to make the bike a little more peppy, with out switching out sprokets?

Thanks for all and any help you provide

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mike,

If your bike looks like the second picture on this web-page:

http://www.xsrider.com/xsrider/bikes/seca400.html

Then its a XS400RJ (or if it was a 1983 then a XS400RK, last letter is for the year). 1982 XJ400 Seca had a different frame. The XS400's before 1982 had completely different engines, and after 82' they are sometimes refered to as 12E's since that is what the model was refered to in Europe.

For the best help, check out the first topic in this forum (Pinned to the top "XS400 Links", should be able to get your service manual downloaded off there as well, great place to start for looking for the correct parts.

Hope that helps a little,

Mike,

If your bike looks like the second picture on this web-page:

http://www.xsrider.com/xsrider/bikes/seca400.html

Then its a XS400RJ (or if it was a 1983 then a XS400RK, last letter is for the year). 1982 XJ400 Seca had a different frame. The XS400's before 1982 had completely different engines, and after 82' they are sometimes refered to as 12E's since that is what the model was refered to in Europe.

For the best help, check out the first topic in this forum (Pinned to the top "XS400 Links", should be able to get your service manual downloaded off there as well, great place to start for looking for the correct parts.

Hope that helps a little,

Yeah it looks like the second one. Sorry I should of put up a picture. Thanks for the help, I got a few of the parts just looking for cheaper side panels and brake resevoir, but i'll check out that page for sure.

No idea about the bigger jet kits though eh?

you can get bigger jet's here : http://www.mikesxs.net/products-38.html#products

but unless your goiing to change your intake and exhuast it wont change mutch . ive changed my intake and exhuast gone with bigger jet's did a valve adjust,carb sync , changed my plug wire's and plug's,new clutch , chain and alot of other stuff. it did make the bike a bit more peppy

you can get bigger jet's here : http://www.mikesxs.net/products-38.html#products

but unless your goiing to change your intake and exhuast it wont change mutch . ive changed my intake and exhuast gone with bigger jet's did a valve adjust,carb sync , changed my plug wire's and plug's,new clutch , chain and alot of other stuff. it did make the bike a bit more peppy

XS650 carb and exhaust fit on the 400??

Yeah if i found bigger jets i was going to get a K&N or other high flow filter. and the person i bought it from had thrown a screw driver through the end on the exhaust (6 times on both sides to be exact) so would that be enough?

what number jet should i get?

XS650 carb and exhaust fit on the 400??

Yeah if i found bigger jets i was going to get a K&N or other high flow filter. and the person i bought it from had thrown a screw driver through the end on the exhaust (6 times on both sides to be exact) so would that be enough?

what number jet should i get?

that would be a no on the exhaust from the XS650 . but they do use the same BS34 carb set . you can also use the podfilter's they have @ mikesXS . you should 1st take off the carb's and see what jet's are in there now . if you have never removed them . i would also do a full carb cleaning and rebuild since you have to take them off anyway to change the jet's . here's a link i found here some time ago :

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Motorcycle_Carburetor_Jetting__W7.cfm

that would be a no on the exhaust from the XS650 . but they do use the same BS34 carb set . you can also use the podfilter's they have @ mikesXS . you should 1st take off the carb's and see what jet's are in there now . if you have never removed them . i would also do a full carb cleaning and rebuild since you have to take them off anyway to change the jet's . here's a link i found here some time ago :

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Motorcycle_Carburetor_Jetting__W7.cfm

Alrighty i'll give that a try thanks. So would the exhaust i have work for the bigger jets, and k&N or prob not. If not what exhaust should i get?

and what size you recommend (exact size or how many sizes over should i go)

Thanks again

Alrighty i'll give that a try thanks. So would the exhaust i have work for the bigger jets, and k&N or prob not. If not what exhaust should i get?

and what size you recommend (exact size or how many sizes over should i go)

Thanks again

you realy need to check the carb's to find out "what" size is in there now . you never know until you remove the carb's and look . is it the stock jet's? did the other owner up the jet size when he put the holes in the muffler's ? when was the last time the bike had a valve adjustment or a carb sync ? in order to make the changes you want to do you need to check and adjust all of these thing's. i also would not expect much of a preformance gain by installing a k&n filter it the stock air box . if your bike has stock jet's i have heard that 1 size up from stock will help it run better . remember when messing with your carb's and making changes to the intake and exhuast . you have to tune 3 spot's on your carb's idle ,midrange, wide open throttle , pilot jet, needle jet,main jet . also the idle mix screw set on the top of the carb's i would replace the screw's,spring's ,washer's and the rubber o-ring's.

to make thing's easy just cut out the air box with a sawzall like i did :headbang:

CIMG1641.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online