Cat removal DT125RE, well kind of.

Vez
This post is 5009 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so i have attempted to remove the cat/restrictor from a spare expansion chamber for the DT125RE.

It hasn't gone as planned so i thought i would post my progress to vent a little stress and maybe get some feedback from you guys as to where to go next.

Here is how it looked before the butchery

pict0642.jpg

Here it is opened up.

The part on the left is the pipe that leads to the silencer and the part on the right goes to the engine.

pict0660.jpg

pict0658.jpg

I can't say a didn't swear a little (ok alot) when i first saw it. I wasn't expecting something as large and well fitted as this, it appears to go all the way along the pipe to the rust patch on the right in the first picture. There are 4 spot welds on the outside that looked like they held something in place, after inspecting the top two they don't appear to do anything. Also looking into the inside edge in the second picture, it looks like the cat/restrictor is welded all the way around the inside edge to the expansion chamber. From the looks of it I don't think it is coming out intact or i may even have to cut the pipe again.

Spot welds

pict0662.jpg

I ground the top of this one away before realizing that there is nothing inside the pipe for it to hold. :unsure:

Any thoughts, comments or ideas are appreciated?

Vez.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Somehow i dont think it is as big as you think it is

Found this in Yam2strke forum

Thats what she said :P

Interesting, it looks like there is another part separate from the large piece. The pipe has been cut twice on the link though. I wonder if it could all be removed with just the one cut i have. Well ill get the hammer out tomorrow and see.

Cheers Paul. :D

Interesting, it looks like there is another part separate from the large piece. The pipe has been cut twice on the link though. I wonder if it could all be removed with just the one cut i have. Well ill get the hammer out tomorrow and see.

Cheers Paul.  :D

Yes another piece further down, more of that baffle stuff there, no doubt you will see weld for that too, best place is to cut where the weld is in order to remove it.

Yes another piece further down, more of that baffle stuff there, no doubt you will see weld for that too, best place is to cut where the weld is in order to remove it.

I will be trying my best not to cut it again as it looks ugly with a second weld imo.

What made me laugh in the link was the part he says"Once removed there is more unpleasant sensation of heat right calf" :lol: Probably should save the finished pipe for winter then.

Very interesting! Hadn't even considered the possibility of what was inside there. Presumed there was just the same bits to cut out as on the pre 04 models. Be intertested to see what affect it has if you manage to get that lump out! I'll wait til you've finished your experiments, but i might consider getting a spare pipe to give it a go.

Also, according to that website, there are some other things in the silencer! Now i have one that is...er....well....not attatched, i might cut it open and have a look around!

Here's a DTR one i cut open a while ago. I gave up on removing the parts as it would be easier to build one from scratch. I presume the DT125RE is the same internally. 

pict0639p.jpg

pict0637.jpg

Here's a DTR one i cut open a while ago. I gave up on removing the parts as it would be easier to build one from scratch. I presume the DT125RE is the same internally. 

pict0639p.jpg

pict0637.jpg

Ah yeah, was just going on what that website said, probably would be easier to just buy a 2nd had dep. My friends welding this one back together now, gonna use it as a spare. Bought one off Deeteemx that i'll refurb/spray for showing off :D

• 3 months later...

Part two, after a bit of a crash and a busy life i finally got around to working on removing the CAT again.

With a little bit of leverage on the side of the CAT, i noticed there was movement and the cat wasn't welded in all the way round

(picture was taken after i started)

pict0898.jpg

As you can see from the dent in the picture above the weld is only part way around and with some persuasion from a lump hammer and a few chisels the cat was loose.

pict0894.jpg

Drove the chisels down into the gap at the side and broke the weld.

pict0900i.jpg

with a little leverage on each side the CAT came out pretty easy. All of about 30mins work.

pict0901.jpg

I was please to say the least, until that is i looked inside the exhaust and saw this.

pict0903.jpg

A ring that held the CAT was going to maybe disrupt the scavenging/ flow of gases. So it had to go.

It wasn't going without a fight though, and 2 hours or so of grinding and swearing later it was done.

pict0909w.jpg

The spot welds i had ground initially turned out to be holding the CAT/ring in after all. :rolleyes:

I started by trying to dremmel the ring off from the inside to no avail.

In the end i resorted to angel grinding the spot welds off and using a combination of a well worn grinding disk to get inside and hammer and chisel to force it out.

pict0910.jpg

Left a couple of holes and a bit of a mess, but the holes will weld up and the leftover mess was easy to grind up smooth ish. The inside was painted so i gave it a spray over with some hight temp BBQ paint and left it to dry.

I decided to leave the remaining baffle thing in the bottom as i want to get the exhaust and bike done in time for the 2-stroke run in September.

All thats left now is to get it welded up this week and paint it.

Will post when its done.

Vez.

Had the exhaust welded back together today.

pict0913.jpg

pict0915.jpg

With painting it i wasn't after a perfect weld, just a quick turnaround and more important a cheap price.

Rode in with my exhaust in my bag and the guy dropped the job he was on and welded it there and then, i left with my exhaust in under 25 mins. Proper service ;)

Said i would give him a mention,

Station Street Cars

Exhaust repairs

Station street (off Warf St) Dukinfield

Tel: 0161-308-3700

Ask for Andy B)

Going to get it prepped this week and paint it at the weekend.

Nice one Vez, lets hope it makes a big difference along with the CDI wire ground  ;)  :D

Its already screaming just doing the wire, and it doesn't overheat as much either, i have my suspicions as to why :blush:

NO!! :o

Its either fairies or the neighbors cat, hes a real shifty looking one :ninja:. My money is on the fairies though,

So got some spare time this weekend and prepped the exhaust for painting.

Blow torch and wire wheel for the win!!

pict0918.jpg

After stripping the paint back there was some weird marks that the wire wheel wouldn't shift, half hour with the sander sorted that out.

pict0922m.jpg

4-5 coats of OG's tried and tested  Plastikote bbq paint later and its looking good.

pict0923.jpg

pict0928.jpg

Just need to let it dry and fit it.   B)  B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online