setting TDC on dt100

This post is 5092 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A dial gauge in the plug hole to get the position right and a bulb to know when the points part

Merv

The bulb may not work as its a flymag ignition.

Have a look around the circumference of the flywheel, you just might see 3 lines scribed on it. Now take the plug out and stick a pencil down to the piston. turn the flywheel to find TDC, then back off (clockwise i think) the flwheel around 1.5 - 2.0mm. Now IF you did find the marks I said...at this point you will see a mark on the crankcase to align the middle scribed line to...this is the point at which the contact breaker should open. Some people use cigarette papers to do this, trap one in the points and turn the flywheel until the paper is released, adjust this to co-incide with the alignment of the marks........i'm rambling :huh:

...Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Any coil from a flywheel points mag should work. there are some DT50 coils on flea bay at the moment that should work fine.

Fag paper method was how we set them up. I now have a buzz box that I used to use on aircraft mags, the fag paper method is every bit as accurate tho. Lightly pull the paper as you rotate the engine slowly and when you feel it just starting to slip thats the point you want.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online