TDR125 Carb

TDR125owner
This post is 5275 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

New to this forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where I can source a brand new carb for my 1996 TDR125 (websites, shops)? I don't really want to chance a 2nd hand one but I can't find aftermarket carbs anywhere on the net!

Thanks

J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All

New to this forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where I can source a brand new carb for my 1996 TDR125 (websites, shops)? I don't really want to chance a 2nd hand one but I can't find aftermarket carbs anywhere on the net!

Thanks

J

Thats a bit drastic isn't it. Whats the problem?

Oh yeah welcome....

Well I bought the bike off a dodgy 'mechanic' who apparently bent this and that to stop the float sticking, or so I'm told. Also, the bit where the main jet sits is all out of shape so the jet isn't set right (???) and the air screw has seized. This is what I've been told by a local garage who stripped the carb. It now leaks fuel out the overflow/breather pipe when the engine is stopped, unless I turn the tap off, which it didn't do before the carb was stripped.

I'm trying to build the bike back up to it's original glory and I seem to be spending so much money on trying to service/repair/re-condition parts that are on it now so I want to start whacking brand new parts on instead.

J

Have a look at ebay see if you can find a decent secondhand one, i am not quite sure what is bent but it sounds unlikely things are not so bad,most bits that are bendable are replaceable, it sounds to me like they have reset your float height wrong , or you need a new floatneedle and seat , possibly new main needle /emulsion tube and main jet, and the air screw can be released with a little bit of ingeneuity, not sure if you have a mikuni carb but here is the manual

mik manual

Merv

Hi Merv

Yeah it looks like my carb is a mikuni and thanks ever so much for the manual, i've been looking for one for weeks! I've been checking ebay every single day since December for parts but have only seen TDRs breaking and parts went unbelievably quick.

I'll try find spares for the bits and bobs inside the carb instead, using the info you've given, see how that goes.

Many thanks

J

Thanks Merv for the manual! It wasn't the exact one for my carb (I got a flatslide) but it helped me to identify what was what when I stripped the carb myself at the weekend. I gave everything a good soak in meths and gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush, put it back on - no leak and fired straight up!!! I even removed a bit of rubber which seemed to be trapped by the 'float cup', which I thought would be a seal of some sort and would surely mean I'd have petrol leaking out more than before, but it hasn't seemed to mess anything up. I paid a lot of attention to the pilot jet which was pretty grimy and I bent the float bracket thingy a little because the distance between it and something sticking up was way out according to an adjustment diagram I found on the net.

What an improvement! I don't think I even need a new carb, there's no cracks or visible wear, the jets all look in good nick and now the bike is running better than ever and the idling problem I had is now completely resolved (pilot jet???).

I do NOT claim to know what I'm doing, but what I did do must have done the trick and I can't believe I paid a professional to do the same who actually made things worse!

Anyway, I'm done ranting...

J

Uh oh, not fixed it after-all. After riding about 50 miles she starting struggling around 5k revs but was OK if I opened her up(?). I've seen another post about a DT fuelling problem, and I guess maybe I've put the float out of adjustment? I'll try adjusting it by a mm or so to give it more/less fuel.