Oil from my hypercharger??

TR Young
This post is 5166 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a very low mileage '06 V-Star 1100. Bought it last week with only 517 miles on it. It has a Kuryakyn hypercharger installed. I noticed tonight that there is oil leaking out of the bottom of the hypercharger. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What would be causing that, and what do I need to do to take care of it. Dealership where I bought the bike sells all used bikes "as-is", so I have no warranty with them.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a very low mileage '06 V-Star 1100. Bought it last week with only 517 miles on it. It has a Kuryakyn hypercharger installed. I noticed tonight that there is oil leaking out of the bottom of the hypercharger. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What would be causing that, and what do I need to do to take care of it. Dealership where I bought the bike sells all used bikes "as-is", so I have no warranty with them.

Good Day,

To get to your question, these bikes do put a little oil into the intake track. First time I saw it I almost dropped a load!! It's normal. Clean it once in awhile. Some actually recommend keeping the oil level between add and full halfway. I keep mine full.

...To get to your question, these bikes do put a little oil into the intake track. First time I saw it I almost dropped a load!! It's normal. Clean it once in awhile. Some actually recommend keeping the oil level between add and full halfway. I keep mine full.

Wow, really? I've never heard of that before. Like you, when I noticed it I was about sick to my stomach... I thought to myself, "Well, that's why it was so cheap." I was pretty disappointed.

I appreciate the heads-up!

Wow, really? I've never heard of that before. Like you, when I noticed it I was about sick to my stomach... I thought to myself, "Well, that's why it was so cheap." I was pretty disappointed.

I appreciate the heads-up!

Morning,

The Rock's advice is completely right, although I've only ever really seen this happen on Harleys, as Japanese cruisers tend not to blow back the way the US stuff does.

Morning,

The Rock's advice is completely right, although I've only ever really seen this happen on Harleys, as Japanese cruisers tend not to blow back the way the US stuff does.

So this isn't going to cause any problems then, huh? I just need to wipe up the oil from time to time.

You will find it's a little more when you've had a spell of getting on it. It's nothing really wrong with the engine, just an intake design that allows a little oil into the intake through the ventilation system. Nearly all engines will do this but this engine's filter location allows the oil to collect there. The stock filter housing actually has a small capped tube at the back to drain the oil without removing the cover.

You will find it's a little more when you've had a spell of getting on it. It's nothing really wrong with the engine, just an intake design that allows a little oil into the intake through the ventilation system. Nearly all engines will do this but this engine's filter location allows the oil to collect there. The stock filter housing actually has a small capped tube at the back to drain the oil without removing the cover.

Ah, ok. This really eases my mind to know that the stock filter has an outlet for the oil. That solidifies it for me. Thanks a ton!

I can't tell you how sick I felt when I saw that oil on my new bike! :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online