Xs400 Exhaust Help

Ravensia
This post is 5083 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, I am new here and a new owner of an 81 XS 400 Special.

I bought the bike with only the header pipes, it runs but I know it's making it run lean and I was wondering if any of you know a cheap way to create come back pressure on the exhaust because as of the moment I don't have the money to buy an exhaust.

Thanks,Jeremy.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey, I am new here and a new owner of an 81 XS 400 Special.

I bought the bike with only the header pipes, it runs but I know it's making it run lean and I was wondering if any of you know a cheap way to create come back pressure on the exhaust because as of the moment I don't have the money to buy an exhaust.

Thanks,Jeremy.

:welcome: jeremy

there is an baffle insert you can put inside the downpipes ( headers)

063003shortbaffle.jpg

:welcome: jeremy

there is an baffle insert you can put inside the downpipes ( headers)

063003shortbaffle.jpg

Thanks I appreciate it.

And I have another question, quite a few actually.

One, When the cycle is running, The right side carb leaks gas some, And the two carb mounts going to the intake both have caps on the stems coming out, is that right?

Thats all I can think of right now thanks.

Thanks I appreciate it.

And I have another question, quite a few actually.

One, When the cycle is running, The right side carb leaks gas some, And the two carb mounts going to the intake both have caps on the stems coming out, is that right?

Thats all I can think of right now thanks.

For the leaky carb, float height could be off in that one. Info regarding that is in the manuals in the "xs400 links" thread.

For the intake boots, one should be capped, the other is connected by hose to your fuel petcock. Not sure if it matters which is capped; on mine, the left is capped, right is connected.

For the leaky carb, float height could be off in that one. Info regarding that is in the manuals in the "xs400 links" thread.

For the intake boots, one should be capped, the other is connected by hose to your fuel petcock. Not sure if it matters which is capped; on mine, the left is capped, right is connected.

Where do I put it on the petcock?I only have one line and it goes from the petcock to the carb fuel line.

And thanks for the Manual link but only the work shop manual worked, almost all of the other links are out, I'd appreciate any of the manuals you can give me for my bike.

Thanks again Jeremy

Where do I put it on the petcock?I only have one line and it goes from the petcock to the carb fuel line.

And thanks for the Manual link but only the work shop manual worked, almost all of the other links are out, I'd appreciate any of the manuals you can give me for my bike.

Thanks again Jeremy

For setting the float height, the service manual should be all you need. I downloaded it recently so I know it works.

As for the petcock, all I'm going off of is my own experience. And seeing as the only stock thing on my bike anymore is the engine, I could very well have a different petcock than you. On mine, it's just a little nipple pointing to the rear.

For setting the float height, the service manual should be all you need. I downloaded it recently so I know it works.

As for the petcock, all I'm going off of is my own experience. And seeing as the only stock thing on my bike anymore is the engine, I could very well have a different petcock than you. On mine, it's just a little nipple pointing to the rear.

Alright I'll look into it.

And I was wondering if there was a way to make the blinkers and tag light fender assembly look abit better, any swaps?

I have more qwuestions as I keep thinking, Whats the difference between a Cafe and Bobber?

What does it take to make it one or the other?

Will mikes XS Cafe seats work on my XS400?

How about the the new pet cocks?

Alright I'll look into it.

And I was wondering if there was a way to make the blinkers and tag light fender assembly look abit better, any swaps?

I have more qwuestions as I keep thinking, Whats the difference between a Cafe and Bobber?

You can throw on basically any turn signals you want, and you can find them all over the web. For the fender, not sure about any swaps, but you can chop it to your heart's content. If you're good with metal, that will help.

For the cafe/bobber question, google "xs400 cafe racer", and "xs400 bobber" and look at some images. Modification for either isn't for the faint of heart, but if you're determined, it's easily doable. I have no experience with bobbers as I find them ugly, but for a cafe bike, you're looking at changing the tank, tail/seat, bars, and, well in my case, everything else. Before you go for the look though, I'd do some things to modernize the bike's performance: bronze swingarm bushings (mikesXS sells them for the xs650- they work for the xs400 too), tapered roller bearings for steering head, good rear shocks (Hagon is the preferred brand around here), and good rubber ;)

Anything can be adapted to fit with enough tinkering, even mike's cafe seats I would think.

You can throw on basically any turn signals you want, and you can find them all over the web. For the fender, not sure about any swaps, but you can chop it to your heart's content. If you're good with metal, that will help.

For the cafe/bobber question, google "xs400 cafe racer", and "xs400 bobber" and look at some images. Modification for either isn't for the faint of heart, but if you're determined, it's easily doable. I have no experience with bobbers as I find them ugly, but for a cafe bike, you're looking at changing the tank, tail/seat, bars, and, well in my case, everything else. Before you go for the look though, I'd do some things to modernize the bike's performance: bronze swingarm bushings (mikesXS sells them for the xs650- they work for the xs400 too), tapered roller bearings for steering head, good rear shocks (Hagon is the preferred brand around here), and good rubber ;)

Anything can be adapted to fit with enough tinkering, even mike's cafe seats I would think.

Thats the one thing I wouldn't want to change on the bike is the gas tank.I like it better than the boxy one.

Sadly I bought the bike for 250 Didn't run, got it home wiring was loose crunk right up, Have 7,569 Miles on it.

Any side markers you'd recommend? Or sites? Anything at all I take any and all advice and opinions I can get.

And if you know any good ways to get oxidation off and keep it off, it's just light oxidation, I think I saw somewhere about a type of acid you can put on the bike and wheels and then polish them, But I am not sure.

And thanks for all the help I really appreciate it, this is my first bike, I'll see if I can't get some pics of it up.

Thats the one thing I wouldn't want to change on the bike is the gas tank.I like it better than the boxy one.

Sadly I bought the bike for 250 Didn't run, got it home wiring was loose crunk right up, Have 7,569 Miles on it.

Any side markers you'd recommend? Or sites? Anything at all I take any and all advice and opinions I can get.

And if you know any good ways to get oxidation off and keep it off, it's just light oxidation, I think I saw somewhere about a type of acid you can put on the bike and wheels and then polish them, But I am not sure.

And thanks for all the help I really appreciate it, this is my first bike, I'll see if I can't get some pics of it up.

ebay is definitely your best bet. everything you need should be on there.

I assume you're referring to oxidation on the aluminum bits? Don't know how to remove that, I haven't had to deal with that. Steel parts though- a good rust remover gel is your friend. And for keeping corrosion off EVERYTHING- ACF-50. Just google it.

I agree with you on the boxy xs400 tank that I believe was standard in the UK. I really don't like that one. My tank came from an xs850, you may want to look into it.

cafe racer is from the UK perchant in the 60's to ride bikes fast (100mph) most guys hung out at cafes which were along the main roads where they raced!

xs400 cafe

f11773589t511451p7558434n1.png

Bobbers were from the US where the GI's back from the war "Bobbed" their bikes by shorteneing the rear fenders and lightening the look of the 50's machines, then there's "brat style" which is Japanese which is a mix of street tracker and bobber

efee0626.jpg

cafe racer is from the UK perchant in the 60's to ride bikes fast (100mph) most guys hung out at cafes which were along the main roads where they raced!

xs400 cafe

Bobbers were from the US where the GI's back from the war "Bobbed" their bikes by shorteneing the rear fenders and lightening the look of the 50's machines, then there's "brat style" which is Japanese which is a mix of street tracker and bobber

efee0626.jpg

Thanks Drewpy

I just really don't like the Boxy gas tanks, But I don't know how to make a Cafe racer seat, what to use or anything.

Any guides to Cafe Seats like that? Place to buy?

How about your Tracker you're building, what all does that involve?

And I am honestly afraid to hack on anything on the bike. Because I'll more than likely mess up.

Don't be afraid of messing up, I would know, that's usually my luck.

I have a 360 and was unsure what to do with it, Like you I also don't want to stick much money in it. Only after noticing that the rear part (where the turn signals mount) was broken did I cut off the tail and made a Brat style. For your seat I suggest using Fiberglass.

Here are some links:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22549

http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Docs/Howtomakeafiberglassseatpan.pdf

I just cut my existing pan down and had a friend re-weld it for me.

xs400 cafe

efee0626.jpg

I like the look of that Cafe racer but I doubt I could make a seat pan that looked anything like that.

Or I quite like the seat pan from this 2s6r4eb.jpg

Tag mount and all I'm just not sure how to make the shapes, What to cut, how to mount or anything.

So any advice, info links would be nice.

Thanks.

If your seat is like mine you might have to cut a little but have a look at this,

this is the down and dirty way; no welding and no fiberglass

http://classicbikes.actieforum.com/technics-tutorials-f25/how-to-make-a-cafe-seat-without-polyester-or-welding-t439.htm

or this (sand-able foam and fiberglass)

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=3374.0

Bobber seats

http://www.rattlers.co.nz/page2c.html

http://japbobbers.blogspot.com/2009/02/making-solo-seat.html

If your seat is like mine you might have to cut a little but have a look at this,

this is the down and dirty way; no welding and no fiberglass

http://classicbikes.actieforum.com/technics-tutorials-f25/how-to-make-a-cafe-seat-without-polyester-or-welding-t439.htm

or this (sand-able foam and fiberglass)

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=3374.0

Bobber seats

http://www.rattlers.co.nz/page2c.html

http://japbobbers.blogspot.com/2009/02/making-solo-seat.html

Hey thanks! I apreciate it, Any other ones? Maybe More like either of the pics?

Sheet metal better or worse?

How about how to put the tag like that Triumph?

While we're on the subject of fiberglass seats, does anyone know if it's possible to modify a fiberglass tail provided I get the paint off and expose the fiberglass. I would like to add to it.

sorry, don't mean to hijack...

While we're on the subject of fiberglass seats, does anyone know if it's possible to modify a fiberglass tail provided I get the paint off and expose the fiberglass. I would like to add to it.

sorry, don't mean to hijack...

Don't mind at all we are all trying to learn.

And I have another good question, Can you paint chrome or do you need to knock it off to bare metal?