XS500C noisey engines???

1946415cd
This post is 5181 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Are XS500 engines noisey by design? I have a 1975 C model with only 5200 miles on it. The engine runs very well, has good compression and no visable smoke or oil leaks. At any rpm above 3500 it sounds like any other air cooled twin, below that and especially at idle its quite noisey. If I had to guess, I would say that the noise is coming from the right side of the crankcase and the right side of the valve cover. I'm sure its all timing chain related.The chain tensioner is just a bogus spring loaded affair that really is not adjustable ( sorry Yamaha, the adjustment proceedure in the shop manual is all BS, the tensioner is free to move up and down regardless of how tight the adjuster nut is) I believe the noise is coming from the crankshaft gear drive part of the timing chain and the chain clattering between the camshafts. The only other bike I have heard running also sounded horrible as do the ones I have heard online.

So... what do you folks say? are the 500's just noisey by nature? It makes sense to me that with all those gears and chains it would make for a noisey engine, but it also makes me wonder how Yamaha ever sold the bikes?

Thanks.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are XS500 engines noisey by design? I have a 1975 C model with only 5200 miles on it. The engine runs very well, has good compression and no visable smoke or oil leaks. At any rpm above 3500 it sounds like any other air cooled twin, below that and especially at idle its quite noisey. If I had to guess, I would say that the noise is coming from the right side of the crankcase and the right side of the valve cover. I'm sure its all timing chain related.The chain tensioner is just a bogus spring loaded affair that really is not adjustable ( sorry Yamaha, the adjustment proceedure in the shop manual is all BS, the tensioner is free to move up and down regardless of how tight the adjuster nut is) I believe the noise is coming from the crankshaft gear drive part of the timing chain and the chain clattering between the camshafts. The only other bike I have heard running also sounded horrible as do the ones I have heard online.

So... what do you folks say? are the 500's just noisey by nature? It makes sense to me that with all those gears and chains it would make for a noisey engine, but it also makes me wonder how Yamaha ever sold the bikes?

Thanks.

Don

mine is sort of similar but it is a loos baffle on the right exhaust.

the 1975 xs500 is an xs500b i thought?

You are correct, mine is a 1976.

So, the engine on your bike is quiet? It doesn't sound like it needs a valve and timing chain adjust?

Thanks.

Don

You are correct, mine is a 1976.

So, the engine on your bike is quiet? It doesn't sound like it needs a valve and timing chain adjust?

Thanks.

Don

im no expert but i dont think so

the cam chain tensioner on these bikes have a plastic surface which gets brittle over time just have a look.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online