75 RD200 Project

Joekool4
This post is 5316 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,I just bought a 75 rd200 that wouldn't start. I wasn't sure why because the p/o told me he thought it was in the transmission. not wanting him to know it wasnt that bad, and trying to bring down the price, I offered him much lower than he wanted and he bit. We loaded it up in my truck and I drove it home, after ordering a new battery tender and manual off ebay, i looked in the gas tank and low and behold its filled with rust. So a 35 year old bike with 7,000 miles was stored forever so long that the gas in the carbs had what looked like curtled milk in it. So I felt the need to share with someone and here I am. I will post pics as it progresses.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for all the good wishes, it looks like it just sat forever and thats why its siezed. hopefully the cylinders are in decent shape as well as pistons, especially the pistons new ones cost half as much as the bike did. This is only a weekend thing so hopefully I can get the engine out, in the garage and apart next week I've already got the throttle and carbs off, as well as the seat, oil tank, battery, and disconnected the exhaust from the engine. havent had too much time though. It's on my back patio and I'm in st. augustine florida and it got chilly and windy yesterday.

be sure to wrap up warm now Joe :P

Ha, I'm originally from Pittsburgh so i was out and about in shorts and a t-shirt. Just a little too windy for working on a bike, then again in a few weeks it will be back into the 90s with 110% humidity with no wind.

Ok, UPDATE. seafoam in the tranny shifts easier and no longer locked up, Adjusted clutch and everything in the transmission is looking great only problem now i have to unstick the pistons and clean the carbs and gas tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the local shop doesn't have the right spark plugs and I'm waiting on a kick start lever and for the battery to charge. Doesn't look like it will be ready for bike week this year. Also have to fix transmission oil leak.