DT125R Advice

escie
This post is 5205 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi im new to this forum, just picked my first bike up the other day. Doing my cbt this week so will be riding by the weekend :).

Anyway i have a 2001 dtr and could do with advice. i have never ridden before and know nothing about the bike so any tips on it would be helpful. I notice when i turn the bike on and start it the exhaust has white smoke coming out. i havent had a chance to ride it yet so unsure if it just needs a good ride or its running rich. it did only pass its MOT on saturday but i know this doesnt mean it is fine.

Thanks Sam!

p.s as far as oil goes i have no idea whats in it at the moment so was going to pick some more up tomorrow. Can i just put it in or should i drain whats left (i dont know how to do this, but my gf's dad could do it).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum Sam, its a bit early to start diagnosing problems especially as you arent riding it yet. Its a two stroke engine and this means that it is designed to burn a little oil. somewhere on the bike is an oil tank to fill up with two stroke oil, and on the rev counter is a red oil warning light, this is always lit when the bike is not in gear...but if it is lit when in gear its time to top up the oil, conversely if its not lit when in neutral the bulb may have blown and must be corrected asap.

Have you been given an owners manual with the bike?

Have you got any guarantee?

...Paul

hi paul thanks for welcome :). ye the oil light is lit when its in neutral and it does sit in idle at about 1000rpm while choke is on. to be honest i think its just in need of a good ride. i bought it from a dealer and he said any problems just take it back seemed like a nice guy and as i previously said it has just passed MOT and starts first time. im just a bit eager to get riding i think! just wondered what advice i could get about the oil thanks i.e what i should put in it and it has a bit of synthetic in it left but only about 2 inches left. thanks!

i dont have owners manual, need to pick a haynes up or something i guess

Must admit i havent studied mine much yet .The owners manual only says 2 stroke oil.

There are three types of oil

1 mineral oil (cheapest)

2 semi synthetic

3 synthetic

I would use 2 or 3, ask others for recommendations on what they use.

im so jelous of yours haha amazing condition. :P

Guest MaD.VeZ

Hi and welcome.

Personally i have always used fully synthetic 2-stroke oil in mine (rock-oil or silkolene are my favs), but everybody has a different opinion. My DT125RE smokes like a chimney when its started cold, can nearly disappear in it sometimes, but it soon calms down after a minute or two. I think the oil pump adds a little too much imo, but thats better than too little. If memory serves me there is a guide to adjusting the pump in the Haynes manual, something about shims seems to come to mind. But I wouldn't bother until you have give it a good run first as you said, then see how much it smokes.

I'll add that using a quality fuel is probably a good idea, as mine runs like s**te on the supermarket brands, go for a nice high octane rating like 95+ if available(the manual says 91+) your bike will thank you for it.

I will stop there before i get a full blown waffle going :unsure:

Vez

im so jelous of yours haha amazing condition. :P

Don't go anywhere near mineral oil.

Unless you have something really highly strung like an Aprilla RS250 or any of the really looney TZR specials then fully synth is just burning money. A good quality semi 2 stroke will be fine. Silcolene comp 2 injector, or Castrol R smell especially sweet if a little dearer.

Unless you have something really highly strung like an Aprilla RS250 or any of the really looney TZR specials then fully synth is just burning money. A good quality semi 2 stroke will be fine. Silcolene comp 2 injector, or Castrol R smell especially sweet if a little dearer.

u reckon just get some castrol r then? i do want it to run as smooth as pos and can i just put this in with the bit of current oil left? thanks

Guest MaD.VeZ

I always though castrol r was a type of mineral oil? and also that you have to strip and clean the engine more often, as it causes more carbon deposits on the piston and exhaust port, or have i been miss-informed?

P.s just read the haynes manual, and it says "Yamaha 2T oil or equivalent good quality air-cooled 2-stroke engine oil" :blink: not much help.

I always though castrol r was a type of mineral oil?  and also that you have to strip and clean the engine more often, as it causes more carbon deposits on the piston and exhaust port, or have i been miss-informed? 

eeeek what shall i do then im pretty sure the oil there now has a red/pinkish tint so this is full synthetic? the guy i brought it off didnt know.

Guest MaD.VeZ

eeeek what shall i do then im pretty sure the oil there now has a red/pinkish tint so this is full synthetic? the guy i brought it off didnt know.

I don't think you can tell from the colour as to what type is already in it. Don't think you can go wrong with semi-synthetic as oldgitonabike says. i run a DT125R off road which gets thrashed, so i go for fully synthetic as its easy buying 1 type for all, but as cynic says its probably a waste of money for the road! your call really.

I don't think you can tell from the colour as to what type is already in it. Don't think you can go wrong with semi-synthetic as oldgitonabike says. i run a DT125R off road which gets thrashed, so i go for fully synthetic as its easy buying 1 type for all, but as cynic says its probably a waste of money for the road! your call really. 

:) will be on road 90% of the time but gf has some fields so was planning on ripping round them when she goes to do her horses, which is everyday so ill probably offroad it once to three times a week i guess.

thanks for help so far <3

:lol:

Ahem ooops :o , red face :unsure: many appologies :huh: . Brain overtook fingers, yes Castrol R is a vegetable based oil and is unobtainable now i think its R40 or something. But the smell ohhhh.

The TDR has some Motul semi but will be sylcolene when it runs out, the DT gets the stuff from Tesco.

Dont worry about it, the red colour means nothing. Just top up with semi synth. If youre really bothered syphon off the old stuff before you re-fill but dont blame me if you dont like the taste tongue.gif

Welcome esciewink.gif

Dont syphon off the old oil if i was you, it can b pritty hard to get it bled properly to the pump + then from the pump to the carb you will have to manualy hold on the pump with your hand because if you dont your engine sill be starved of oil for the first min or so.

Just top up with semi synthetic ( i use silcolene ) and dont ever let the oil level drop below an inch of the bottom. (it dissapears very fast after that)

Go for a spin see what its like and post back.

ps. check engine oil 2

Welcome esciewink.gif

Dont syphon off the old oil if i was you, it can b pritty hard to get it bled properly to the pump + then from the pump to the carb you will have to manualy hold on the pump with your hand because if you dont your engine sill be starved of oil for the first min or so.

Just top up with semi synthetic ( i use silcolene ) and dont ever let the oil level drop below an inch of the bottom. (it dissapears very fast after that)

Go for a spin see what its like and post back.

ps. check engine oil 2

how do i check engine oil?

ill take it for a rip on thursday after my cbt haha and report! haha

I know its  :offtopic: ,but is there any other way to pay for membership as i don't like using paypal? 

I use it all the time, no problem...mostly ebay but not always.

Looks like its the only option though, Alexigno lives in Australia so posting cheques is out i suppose.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online