RD250/350 gear box.

Joshua2
This post is 5345 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember an article in the old Motorcycle Mechanics magazine where they removed the blanking plate from an air cooled RD250 allowing the use of the 6th gear which was present in the box but blanked off for the European market. I seem to remember there was another part required to stop you going from 6th gear down to first !!! :o

Can anyone confirm my deteriorating memory?

ATB

J :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember an article in the old Motorcycle Mechanics magazine where they removed the blanking plate from an air cooled RD250 allowing the use of the 6th gear which was present in the box but blanked off for the European market. I seem to remember there was another part required to stop you going from 6th gear down to first !!! :o

Can anyone confirm my deteriorating memory?

ATB

J :blink:

Far as i'm aware the RD250 has always been a 6 speeder. I'm sure Merv or one of the other Aircooled RD nuts will let you know.

yes it is possible having never had a 5 speed box bike i have never done it, if i can find the explanation somwhere i will post it here, but yuo will also need to change your sprockets to get any real benefit as you will find that the bike was geared for the 5 speed box and sixth will be so long legged it is unusable i have been told this by people who have done it

merv

Thanks for the replies. ;)

My main question was if you did release the 6th gear by removing this pawl/blanking plate (although, as stated this gear is useless unless some sprocket mods are done) can you then go from 6th gear to first! :o:blink::(

ATB

J

Thanks for the replies. wink.gif

My main question was if you did release the 6th gear by removing this pawl/blanking plate (although, as stated this gear is useless unless some sprocket mods are done) can you then go from 6th gear to first! ohmy.gifblink.gifsad.gif

ATB

J

why would you want to go from 6th to 1st you COCK?

I think that 6th too 1st bit was urban legend at the time put about by dealers to stop people attempting a DIY conversion, but if you remove the wrong piece it is possible for it too happen,

merv

I think that 6th too 1st bit was urban legend at the time put about by dealers to stop people attempting a DIY conversion, but if you remove the wrong piece it is possible for it too happen,

merv

I agree with merv. If its a bit put in to blank off 6th gear, then the rest of the 6speed box must be stock. Selector drum the lot.

I would think, thinking about the way the 6 speed box works on the DT that it would be the peg wheel that controls the selector drum basically missing a peg. Well that strikes me as the easiest.

why would you want to go from 6th to 1st you COCK?

How many times do I have to flush before you go away? :unsure::P

To all the other people that replied sensibly - I thank you. :D

ATB

J

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online