rear shock started leaking (xs400)

bznchris
This post is 5206 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In the middle of rebuilding my xs400, and noticed my left rear shock started leaking. I was going to replace them eventually, but guess I get to do it now! I know the shocks currently on there aren't stock, and they seem much bigger than the stockers too. I think I'll have to stick with the oversized shocks as they provide clearance for the chopped tail. So, can anyone tell me what options I have for a similar sized set? Thanks!

Edit: I measured a little more precisely, and found the shocks are 14.5" eye to eye. I wouldn't mind going with a 14" shock to help give the chain a little more clearance (has been rubbing the swingarm with no weight on the seat). any recommendations? or at the very least, can anyone identify what bike/brand these shocks come from? I'm having a hard time finding replacements.

img1368ng.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My '78 XS400 has unloaded shock length at 12.5"...your frame looks the same as mine (except the rear downtube loop for supporting the rear pegs and exhaust appear to have been removed on your's). Like the rearsets, by the by....

Those shocks don't look immediately familiar, but someone else will surely recognize them. Almost any shock with the correct length and mounting eye width will fit (except for HD ones, right length, different eye width).

My '78 XS400 has unloaded shock length at 12.5"...your frame looks the same as mine (except the rear downtube loop for supporting the rear pegs and exhaust appear to have been removed on your's). Like the rearsets, by the by....

Those shocks don't look immediately familiar, but someone else will surely recognize them. Almost any shock with the correct length and mounting eye width will fit (except for HD ones, right length, different eye width).

Yes, I think the only original part of this bike anymore is part of the frame. The reason for needing such long shocks is the tail being chopped, and when compressed, the tire could possibly hit the tail light, or more exactly, the bottom of the tail:

img1369r.jpg

Also, I found these. Seems like they ought to work. Thoughts anyone? Edit: think they're for HD... :rolleyes:

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/productdetail?sku=701-039&N=274910&Ntt=&Ntk=&Ne=755118&Nao=150&Ns=DefaultSort&fitment=1&brand=0&results=100

Second Edit: Though thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the shock mounts were modified-they look like it. Can anyone tell me the width of your mounts for comparison? Maybe HD shocks will work...

Stock mounting system is a stud....looks like your's is bolted, which makes it pretty simple, don't have to worry as much about eye width, just add spacers as needed to fit snugly.

Stock mounting system is a stud....looks like your's is bolted, which makes it pretty simple, don't have to worry as much about eye width, just add spacers as needed to fit snugly.

Ah, thanks Runningdog!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online