Fitting a tow bar to the swift?

wild foamy
This post is 5357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps,

im now in need of a towbar to tow a single bike trailer (ive checked, it is under 750kg and is less than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle so i can tow it without taking another test).

i have an old hitch unit in the shed, and a frame to mount it to but what point on the car should it be mounted to?

help appreciated peeps

- Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

im now in need of a towbar to tow a single bike trailer

If your swift was registered after 1998 ('S' Plate) then you can only fit a Type Approved 94/20 EC Towbar, it must have an indentification plate attached to it to show it's approval, weight restriction, hitch nose load etc.

So making your own is probably a costly thing to do, then get approved.

If you intend fitting it yourself, try www.towsure.com, they are reasonably priced for new brackets. I'f fitted a few of these and they don't take very long at all - unlike the electrics!!

You might also find a local supplier who can do you a decent deal for a fitted unit.

Of course, people still make thier own brackets, but as these don't conform, then there is a good change you could get a prohibition notice (if caught, while towing) from Plod, or VOSA (who have the legal right to stop any vehicle anywhere on the UK roads).

as luck would have it peeps, my brother has a towbar mounting frame that he had on his swift (albeit his was a Mk2 and mine is a Mk3), and as i understand it this frame is mounted using fishplates and has been designed to go under the bumper and up, not through it.

bonus

progress peeps, had to "modify" the exhaust mounting bracket and drilled the first two holes (one on each side) and got the towbar roughly mounted so i can get a general idea of what modifications are needed (so far the only one i think it needs is the towhitch mounting plate needs to be brought up a bit which is an easy enough job, will continue with it tomorrow when i can get access to the service ramp :)

will hopefully be picking up the XJ in a week if all goes well!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online