Help needed (electrical)

wild foamy
This post is 5365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps

i know this is a Yammy forum but need some help/advice with the sound system in my swift.

basically i got a 500w subwoofer currently plugged in and running on a 10/12AWG power cable (supports maximum 800w), also got a 680w Amplifier for my 6x9s but these aren't connected to the stereo (waiting on an extra RCA cable).

now, the sub and the speakers together are rated 1100w maximum output, so i cannot run both on my existing power cable. im swapping the existing power cable to the sub to a heavier 8AWG (1500w) cable tomorrow, im then planning to run the smaller 800w cable to my 6x9s' amp (piggybacking the spades from my subs amp), would this create problems for my sub amp by using the terminals to run my other amp?, and also would i be able to wire up the amp but leave it disconnected from the speakers or would this damage the amp? (as i said im only waiting on the RCA cable and dont really have the facilities i need on the base during the week)

any help appreciated, i can upload a wiring diagram if you want aswell

- Steveo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You need to know what the actual power CONSUMPTION of each amp is, not its output power.

With car systems there is a tendency by the manufacturer to some what overstate the system's true performance. For what you want I wouldn't rate the power feed at 100% of the peak requirement. I'd rate it at 100% of the max continuous rating of the amp. Have a look in the spec sheet for the current draw of each amp. Then you need to work out how long the power feed run is. With the current, voltage and run length you can work out what cable you need. A 8 AWG cable is a pretty heavy duty bit of kit and I'd guess some what over rated for what you want. I can't believe for one moment you need to supply 70 amps!

When working out power requirements, stay away from car audio websites - they have some very odd ideas about what's required, there's plenty of proper electronics web sites with industry standard cable calculators on them.

Steve,

Is the engine in a Swift up to running a Stereo ? Well there's a shock......

Jesting apart, remember :

P=IV is always a good one to remember, where

P= Power in amps,

I= Current, in Amps

V= Voltage, in, not suprisingly, Volts

So, to work out the power consumption, in the situation where it's not listed and you don't have a clamp or ammeter, simply insert the fuse value into the equation and you'll get a reading for the power consumtion - it will be over rated, but it is a guide in the lack of any other information.

So to back-work what the Sub-Woofer is saying;

P=IV, thus

500=I x 12, or 500/12 = I (divide both sides of the equation by 12, this cancels out the I x 12)

Therefore you would expect the subwoofer to draw around 41amps, if the sub-woofer has a 10amp fuse in it then you'll need to work out the correct power consuption based on that;

P=IV, thus

P=10 x 12

Therefore P = 120w....

As Speedshop has said, these are going to be overrated......

fuse on the sub is 20 amp and the fuse on the 6x9s amp is 60 amp, ive now installed the 8 AWG cable anyway because a buddy of mine had a load left over from wiring in his sound system

as for the swift being able to run the stereo then not sure how to check that, so far it has been fine and is able to run the stereo with a good volume at low-revs (cruisin through town picking up the ladies ;)) and i havent noticed any strobin (headlights dimming in sequence with the subwoofer), if i do get into any difficulties i will look in to swapping the alternator for something a bit more substantial (off the top of my head, maybe the 1.6/2.0 suzuki vitara).

will look up the amps spec sheet now...

buy an ipod and use some earphones, all that stuff weighing down the little car and then switch it on, with the pull on the alternator you will need a orange beacon on the roof as it will only do 15/20 mph and you will be clssified as a slow moving vehicle and hazard to other road users, the other option is stick ear plugs in your ears as you will go deaf anyhow, and if all you want to do is hear less then ear plugs are cheaper, and you have the same end result,

merv

Hmmm, doubt the girlies would like the look of earphones/earplugs... :/

I think the orange lights would be a bigger turn off..... :o

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online