XJ550

tintin
This post is 5225 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently purchased a scruffy but good XJ550.

Its numbers all match up and is registered as a 1987 but all parts lists for a XJ550's go from 81-84?

I've checked photos of other XJ550's and it looks the same?

Does anyone know if the the XJ550 was built up to 1987? if not what could it be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In North America it was sold between 1981-1983. If you recall, this was the era for poor motorcycles sales. Just about all the manufacturers were caught off guard by the down turn in the economy and the ridiculously high interest rates. It was common to see 1982 motorcycles still on the dealers floor several years later. It is my thought your bike was not purchased until 1987 and was likely registered as such. This was a common practice done more in the 60's.

In North America it was sold between 1981-1983. If you recall, this was the era for poor motorcycles sales. Just about all the manufacturers were caught off guard by the down turn in the economy and the ridiculously high interest rates. It was common to see 1982 motorcycles still on the dealers floor several years later. It is my thought your bike was not purchased until 1987 and was likely registered as such. This was a common practice done more in the 60's.

Thats great, thanks for your help.

At least I can start ordering some replacement parts knowing its background.

Cheers.