1972 ds7 oil injection

norminmaine
This post is 5242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Picked up what I thought was a 72 ds7 to restore but finding something peculiar. Oil pump had been removed presumably because of failure. Bike runs nice but previous owner said he's been mixing oil with gas because of lack of oil pump. I figured I'd just find one to install however I notice that the the cylinder design is different from what I've seen on other ds7's and where the carb attaches to the cylinder is different in that there is no place (that I can find) to connect the oil feeder lines to on the block. It's definately not in the usual place as I'm familiar with where it is on a typical setup. Serial numbers of bike and engine match so it doesn't look like anyone monkeyed with a retrofit. date of manufacture is Jan of 72. I'm wondering if a design change occured somewhere along the line. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm seeing here or better yet, where the heck do I connect the oil lines. planning to get a manual but at this point not sure which one I need where I'm not sure if I actually have a 72. I have a couple of pics but not sure how to attach on this forum yet. new user.

Thanks in advance for any vintage wisdom you can share,

Norm

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Picked up what I thought was a 72 ds7 to restore but finding something peculiar. Oil pump had been removed presumably because of failure. Bike runs nice but previous owner said he's been mixing oil with gas because of lack of oil pump. I figured I'd just find one to install however I notice that the the cylinder design is different from what I've seen on other ds7's and where the carb attaches to the cylinder is different in that there is no place (that I can find) to connect the oil feeder lines to on the block. It's definately not in the usual place as I'm familiar with where it is on a typical setup. Serial numbers of bike and engine match so it doesn't look like anyone monkeyed with a retrofit. date of manufacture is Jan of 72. I'm wondering if a design change occured somewhere along the line. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm seeing here or better yet, where the heck do I connect the oil lines. planning to get a manual but at this point not sure which one I need where I'm not sure if I actually have a 72. I have a couple of pics but not sure how to attach on this forum yet. new user.

Thanks in advance for any vintage wisdom you can share,

Norm

Norminmaine;

Just wondering if you're actually in Maine (as I am)... I just registered and am looking for a vintage yamaha, so I thought I would contact you. New with looking at older (60's, early 70's) 2 stroke. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated...JonM

Hi

look i am on this forum and also http://www.aircooledrdclub.org.uk now go over there and sign up although it says RD there are guys that know about DS7 and R5 models as well, also Alasdair Cowan knows a lot about them

Merv

Norminmaine;

Just wondering if you're actually in Maine (as I am)... I just registered and am looking for a vintage yamaha, so I thought I would contact you. New with looking at older (60's, early 70's) 2 stroke. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated...JonM

Hi Jon,

yep, I'm in Monmouth Maine. Not sure how much help I can offer though. I'm a novice restorer and find I'm often on the asking end of the advice thing. You might try posting a question on craigslist under the motorcycle category. I've had some luck with that as enthusiasts tend to surface and are more than willing to help. Good luck

Yamagod, thanks for the effort to attach pics. Unfortunately, that veiw is of the typical ds7 cylinder design and doesn't reflect what I have... which is the problem. There is no side port hole to accept the banjo bolt.I was hoping this was one of those questions where someone could immediately recognize what I was describing.

Merv, thanks also... I'll try the forums you mentioned.

I guess if it there wasn't a challenge now and then, it wouldn't be as fun.

Thanks to all for reponding,

Norm

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online