any one know what these lamps are called?

drewpy
This post is 5424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

saw these todsay at the toy run and was thinking of getting some for the flat tracker. can anyone shed some light on them (sic!) and where i can get them (or a link)

DSC00543.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

saw these todsay at the toy run and was thinking of getting some for the flat tracker. can anyone shed some light on them (sic!) and where i can get them (or a link)

DSC00543.jpg

they are called

Susan and Edwin

they are called

Susan and Edwin

I hope Susan is the one on top :D

They are made by Ring, you can get them from Halfrauds for around £26.....

They are cheap, but they are not the best...... I have a pair on the TTR to backup the crap headlight during the dark months...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_232473_langId_-1_categoryId_165688

They are made by Ring, you can get them from Halfrauds for around £26.....

They are cheap, but they are not the best...... I have a pair on the TTR to backup the crap headlight during the dark months...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_232473_langId_-1_categoryId_165688

thanks Gas,

I assume that they can't be used as normal lamps then, even though that R1 had them and is road legal?

thanks Gas,

I assume that they can't be used as normal lamps then, even though that R1 had them and is road legal?

They sell them as fog lights, and have a centre dip (they don't peak up at the left edge like normal dipped lights - Centre dip is leagal as the new Tenere has a centre dip, so you don't need to put them daft stickers on your headlight when you go over the water) so my guess is that they are fine as they don't dazzle other road users, but I'm not sure of the opinion that VOSA or the MOT tester would have.

You can get the same shaped lights, sold as daylight running lights. For this I would imagine you would get a daytime MOT (as in the bike is treated as having no lights)

I've never had any bother using mine, and they weren't questioned on the MOT, but they are controlled by a switch.

Lighting comes under the same construction and use regs as everything else. Insofar as you can chop up a frame to make a flat tracker ;) you can modify the lighting as long as the lights are suitable for road use and the light or combination works using a main and dipped beam.

The bike in the pic's will probably have them wired to main and dip with one aimed differently to the other. You can also get twin filament bulbs, or if they are metal reflectors drill them for additional bulbs.

Anything goes really, i had 2 spots on the old LC, one fog lamp, one driving lamp from the same product family so they looked the same bar the lenses. The fog lamp acted as dip and main beam kicked in the driving lamp.

The parking/sidelight lamp is the only really tricky bit. Unless you have a 'open minded' MOT man you ideally need to squeeze one in even though its illegal to run on sidelights alone, a 12v LED bonded to the 'dip' reflector would be a neat soloution that wouldn't hurt the asthetics.

Just search streetfightes for ideas on lighting, those lads and lasses seem to have done it all.

The parking/sidelight lamp is the only really tricky bit. Unless you have a 'open minded' MOT man you ideally need to squeeze one in even though its illegal to run on sidelights alone, a 12v LED bonded to the 'dip' reflector would be a neat soloution that wouldn't hurt the asthetics.

My 'very, very, friendly MOT man says he dosen't even check side lights, only main beam and dipped beam'

even though its illegal to run on sidelights alone,

Golly Gosh Cynic, where on earth did you get this snippet of information from?

I thought side lights were for parking only. mine only come on when the ignition switch is the opposite way to off!!

I thought side lights were for parking only. mine only come on when the ignition switch is the opposite way to off!!

Not on mine, I can ride with the 'pilot' light on, just like i can drive the car with the 'side lights' on. Its not just a parking light.

It's illegal to drive after dusk and before sunrise with only your sidelights on.

It's not illegal to have your side lights on in daylight hours , but the police could try and argue that if you're driving around dusk or daybreak, and you've got your side lights on you acknowledge lights are needed, and you've failed to do so properly. It would be really hard for them to prove the point in court so I can't see them doing it.

It's illegal to drive after dusk and before sunrise with only your sidelights on.

It's not illegal to have your side lights on in daylight hours , but the police could try and argue that if you're driving around dusk or daybreak, and you've got your side lights on you acknowledge lights are needed, and you've failed to do so properly. It would be really hard for them to prove the point in court so I can't see them doing it.

Side lights are a throw back to when the headlights were mounted more inboard near the radiator panel. They gave no indication to the width of the vehicle hence the introduction of lights at the side of the vehicle, ie sidelights. Strictly speaking these days they are parking lights but i don't know of any bike where i would want to leave the 'parking lights' on for any lenght of time with the tiny battery's and weak charging systems they have to save a gram or two.

Golly Gosh Cynic, where on earth did you get this snippet of information from?

I used to modify series 2 (58-62) land rovers. Its amazing the silly rules and regulations that turn up. And the exemptions that are permitted.

Like, if you have a landrover with a hinged windscreen you can ignore all the wiper/washer windscreen glass requirements for the MOT as in theory it can be folded out of the way. (It still applies if you have a hardtop :lol: )

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online