my XS400

DKWraith
This post is 2174 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, I'm from Romania, Bucharest, I'm looking for ideas and opinions regarding my newest project, modifying a Yamaha XS 400 in to a Cafe Racer

So far I've becomed the owner of 2 bikes and I'm looking for method's and ways, simple or complex, in modifying it .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, I'm from Romania, Bucharest, I'm looking for ideas and opinions regarding my newest project, modifying a Yamaha XS 400 in to a Cafe Racer

So far I've becomed the owner of 2 bikes and I'm looking for method's and ways, simple or complex, in modifying it .

:welcome: DK

there are loads of info here on xs400 cafe racers as well as pictures. have a look around the forum and please ask about specific things and we'll do our best to answer.

drewps

In that last cafe picture, what is it called when the exhaust looks like its surrounded by tape? Whats the functional use of it besides it looks badass ;)? Maybe only I've seen them on custom pipes where looks like the guy welded the pipes himself.

it keeps the exhaust gases hot in order to evacuate from the system usually used on enclosed race cars.

BTW its called exhaust wrap

You can get exhaust wrap from just about any auto parts store in US or Canada.

On most bikes, I think it is cosmetic addition (or, if you prefer, you're own special take on the perfect bike build). You can also use it to wrap a grungey looking exhaust, but it won't stop rusting...temporary "fix". :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

one of my projects

i look foreword to any opinions and coments

my project

love the xmas tree engine, do the fairy lights help ignition? :lol:

looking good so far!

love the xmas tree engine, do the fairy lights help ignition? :lol:

looking good so far!

yes, is an electric prototype... :lol:

i'm happy that my girlfriend let me ''use'' the space in front of the tree .... not that it isn't a great tree (in case of she see's this :lipseal: )

• 3 weeks later...

both bikes are inside the house... 4th floor! :lol:

don't ask how they got there .... :blink:

• 5 months later...

well, now i have a "suffering" city neighbor, another Romanian XS400 owner. :D

just a quik touch back on the exaust wrap, it used to be a big thing with the '60's hotrod and ratrod guys, I believe it came from drag racing, the idea is to hold the heat into the exaust so that the hot gases help pull or vacume themselfs from the cylinders also to help keep the temp down under the hood so that the engine can get more cold air and keep engine temps down, you only wrap the headers nothing else and the wrap tends to make the pipes rust and rot faster, your only going to see a performance differance in a race application not a daily driver and I don't think you really want to wrap the exaust on a bike anyway.

• 5 years later...

so you did a streetfighter in the end?

Are you putting any graphics on there or leaving as is?

Nope, will be a crossover between scrambler and cafe tracker. Next step, XV500 fork and longer rear shock absorbers.

The graphics reamain unchanged.

• 2 years later...

Meantime, a "new" bike in the family. My XJ750.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online