dt headlight

Daniel Cooper
This post is 5449 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Drivin home the other night i noticed the speedo and dials wasnt lit and i found out that the headlight wasnt working either when it was on low beam, but if i put full beam on the headlight would turn on and so would the dials, but soon as i put on the standard beam it was a very very dull light from the headlight and the dials never even lit, so im guessing its just a blown bulb its an electrical fault?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could be a blown dip beam in the main bulb. What year is the bike? what model is it? Not sure why this would stop the dials from lighting. There are either 2 or 3 lights (if 2 then there is no parking light)

Parking - which is a very low light on a separate bulb.

Dipped beam - normal riding as part of the main bulb

High beam - unlit road lighting as par of the main bulb.

Its a 2002 dtr, yea it has a parking low level light, standard riding beam and full, im just wondering why the dials arent lit up when the standard beam is selected along with a very low level light similar2 the parking light, it was all fine before i set off but as i started it for the return journey it just didnt have a low beam and no dial light, which makes me think its not the bulb its an electrical problem because it must be 2 seporate bulbs?

With all electrical problems it is test and see.

You need to check this is the right one but this should be the wiring diagram.

dtr12597on.jpg?t=1256048102

If the dial lights are going out between main and low beam get your meter out that is classic earth fault. There is an earth somewhere that has gone high resistance and the bike has been coping using dip beam. The dip filament has in all probability failed as it is doing double duty causing your dash lights to go.

The dial lights will be fed from the on/off light switch, thats a given for just about every recent yam. So if they are on on main then they are working as far as the switching goes.

Best of luck with it, try a headlight bulb for now.

Its going to take a bit of patience to find the fault.

ok, on my old 74 dt175 heres how the lighting circuit works.

the power goes thru the headlamp, then the headlamp earths thru the pilot bulb on the speedo case. and the speedo case is earthed via the speedo cable.

sounds strange i know, but my headlamp will not light if the pilot bulb had a bad connection. check that.

so, if i have a burned out headlamp, my pilot bulb wont light.

if i have a bad pilot light earthing point on the spedo case, the headlight wont work.

im gonna side with cynic. check your headlamp. then wiggle the rubber boot that holds in the pilot bulb to the speedo. go from there.

try un plugging the bulb, and using bits of wire swap around the low/high beam filiament leads.

that way you can switch back into low beam and the high beam will light. if things work like that you know for sure its the bulb. especially if you switch to high and everything goes off.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online