DT 175 MX fielder

This post is 5382 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Managed to find myself a nice 1978 DT 175 MX the other day, after a bit of bartering I got the bloke down to £120, she's a bit rough, but after swapping the crank (looked like it had been sat in water for 10 years), she ran like an absolute dream.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what they fetch running & on the road nowadays, and if anyone knows any places to buy new old stock.

I'm also thinking about parts, I seem to remember pretty much _everything_ on the DT 125 and 175's were the same, apart from the bores and the fact the 175 head had 6 nuts instead of 5 or somthing, and the 5 plate clutches on the 125 instead of the 6plate clutches of the 175.

I'm wanting to know if the tanks are the same, and most exterior parts (plastics, tanks, wheels etc). If anyone can post any parts they know for a _fact_ are the same, or are different, please do let me know. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Managed to find myself a nice 1978 DT 175 MX the other day, after a bit of bartering I got the bloke down to £120, she's a bit rough, but after swapping the crank (looked like it had been sat in water for 10 years), she ran like an absolute dream.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what they fetch running & on the road nowadays, and if anyone knows any places to buy new old stock.

I'm also thinking about parts, I seem to remember pretty much _everything_ on the DT 125 and 175's were the same, apart from the bores and the fact the 175 head had 6 nuts instead of 5 or somthing, and the 5 plate clutches on the 125 instead of the 6plate clutches of the 175.

I'm wanting to know if the tanks are the same, and most exterior parts (plastics, tanks, wheels etc). If anyone can post any parts they know for a _fact_ are the same, or are different, please do let me know. Thanks.

A good price I would say. I think most parts are changeable but there are a lot more qualified people on here than me.

So long as you compare a 78 125 to a 78 175, then its cdi, engine top end, clutch (has an extra plate but its the same basket) and thats it. The later versions of the 175 had a different swing arm and shock with the rear sw/arm being of square section tubing cos the racers were breaking the round ones. You can swap them but you need the shock to go with it.

The airboxes and battery locations moved around 79/80 and the oil tank swapped sides at the same time. Also the cdi system changed from a 2 coil system to a single coil system at or around the same time.

Like i said so long as you compare the same year there is very little difference, but you can find quite a lot different between a 78 125 and a 82 175.

As to price? Pick a number a ton for a shiter with useable parts up to maybe 13-1400 quid for a concouse megga low milage minter with all the bells and wistles. Realisticly around 5-600 quid will get a useable tidy bike. But you need to buy smart as the difference between good and shit can be a very fine line on these ol girls.

Best of luck breaking it on Ebay, prices are low at the minute. ;)

............ But you need to buy smart as the difference between good and shit can be a very fine line on these ol girls.......

Never has a truer phrase been said.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online