DT 175 sprockets

APAX
This post is 5287 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i Recently bought a 1997 DT175 and it needs new sprockets , what size would be ok , it seems that when ime in 6th gear and doing 90km , it sounds like the bike is running out of refs

does any one know what the standard sizes should be ? and what sizes i need to get a good take of and good top-end ?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi i Recently bought a 1997 DT175 and it needs new sprockets , what size would be ok , it seems that when ime in 6th gear and doing 90km , it sounds like the bike is running out of refs

does any one know what the standard sizes should be ? and what sizes i need to get a good take of and good top-end ?

Thanks

Not sure of the standard sizes but a bigger back one gives better acceleration and a lower top speed. A smaller back one give slower acceleration and a higher top speed.

1997 dt 175? are you sure? is that a 1977 dt 175? or a 97 dt125 with the big bore kit? dont think they make a '97 dt175. hhhmm lets see 90kmh so thats about 60mph (in proper speed)ok well motocross bikes generally dont go beyond this. the other fella is right about the smaller rear sprocket (or larger front sprocket, just to confuse you)

if its the old '77dt then it probably shouldnt be doing more than 60mph, if its the '97 with a big bore then just do the usual DT tricks or de-restricting - exhuast and powervalve. theres half a dozen sites telling you how to do this, just google it.

let us know what bike you actually have and if its a newer one i know most bits about them

What about the same size back one then? :unsure:

:) I guess that will give the same type of performance as it currently has :movingeyes: Without knowing what was standard and what was fitted I guess that was a bit of a nothing piece of advice from me :icon_redface:

1997 dt 175? are you sure? is that a 1977 dt 175? or a 97 dt125 with the big bore kit? dont think they make a '97 dt175. hhhmm lets see 90kmh so thats about 60mph (in proper speed)ok well motocross bikes generally dont go beyond this. the other fella is right about the smaller rear sprocket (or larger front sprocket, just to confuse you)

if its the old '77dt then it probably shouldnt be doing more than 60mph, if its the '97 with a big bore then just do the usual DT tricks or de-restricting - exhuast and powervalve. theres half a dozen sites telling you how to do this, just google it.

let us know what bike you actually have and if its a newer one i know most bits about them

Its perfectly genuine they are plenty out there, just not for the UK market. Its essentially the DTLC Chassis with the 175 motor in it. It gets some modern tweaks to the pipe and the carb but essentially its the same motor. Its sold in countries with more 'liberal' licence and emmision controls.

With the updates i would have thought it would be good for more than 90kph. It is generally better to increace the size of the front sprocket by one tooth and see the effect. Primarily cos its easier but also it has less detremental effect on the overall gearing. Changing the rear sprocket is also affecting the relative ratio between the wheel and the sprocket.

The front sprocket will have an effect on the gear ratio's but not with such an obvious impression.

Check out the size of your front sprocket and go up one. Its probably a 14tooth jobbie at the moment with a 48 on the rear a 15 on the front will increace your speed by around 10mph/16kph depending on how strong the engine is and the headwind. If the engine is fit and well it probably wont hurt your acceleration all that much in the lower gears either but the MPG KM/L will drop off because the engine will be working harder all the time.

Hope that helps.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online