removing rubber off chrome exhaust??

clarke
This post is 5327 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The other half has melted the sole of her shoe to my XVS1300A exhaust :( does anyone know how to remove it?

tried google but it gives all sorts of weird suggestions... Just bought Solvol Autosol (recomended by dealer) but packet says not to use on mirrored chrome (is this safe for the exhaust??)

Thought I'd ask before I try, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The other half has melted the sole of her shoe to my XVS1300A exhaust :( does anyone know how to remove it?

tried google but it gives all sorts of weird suggestions... Just bought Solvol Autosol (recomended by dealer) but packet says not to use on mirrored chrome (is this safe for the exhaust??)

If it really is chrome (test with a magnet) you should not really use solvol autosol, its a great polish but is best used on stainless steel or un-coated aluminium etc and is abrasive, Check with a magnet first ;)

Try getting the exhausts back up to temp then scrapping the worse off with, say, a plastic business card or something that wont scratch the chrome. Once the worst is off perhaps some cellulose thinners would remove the remaining.

Good luck. :)

ATB

J

I had a similar problem...

As others have said, get exhaust hot and the worst will come off.... Then I used wire wool and thinners... very very carefully to get rid of the rest. I know it sounds mad, but the wire wool is softer than the chrome so doesn’t scratch it... well that’s what I was told and it didn’t on mine :-)

For a long term fix I removed the passenger seat put on the OEM rack and brought the wife her own bike 

Scrunched up tinfoil with vinegar is supposed to work.... I don't know why it works, but I've seen mates doing it.

Apparently it makes for good polishing, too.

Thanks for all your replies, I'll work my way through all your suggestions 1 by 1 if necessary on Saturday...

As for getting the other half to buy a bike, been trying to get her to learn but she's insisting that she only wants to go pillion... mind if anymore rubber goes on my exhaust that won't happen!!! ;)

(I'll try the wire wool on my brother's 125 Shadow as he's dropped it that many time he won't notice any more scratches - just don't tell him!!!!)

Had some rubber on mine, soaked a piece of cloth in CILLIT BANG, hung it on the area for 30 minutes, then just wiped it off. According to New Scientist magazine, it is now used for cleaning the fuel rods at Dungeness nuclear power station!

Had some rubber on mine, soaked a piece of cloth in CILLIT BANG, hung it on the area for 30 minutes, then just wiped it off. According to New Scientist magazine, it is now used for cleaning the fuel rods at Dungeness nuclear power station!

Seems quite apt ! :o:unsure::(

ATB

J

Thanks for all your replies, I'll work my way through all your suggestions 1 by 1 if necessary on Saturday...

As for getting the other half to buy a bike, been trying to get her to learn but she's insisting that she only wants to go pillion... mind if anymore rubber goes on my exhaust that won't happen!!! ;)

(I'll try the wire wool on my brother's 125 Shadow as he's dropped it that many time he won't notice any more scratches - just don't tell him!!!!)

Where is the mark... on the header pipe or the back... When my SWMBO used to go on the back I fitted some hawk passager plates... much bigger than the standard pegs, so much harder for feet to slip off onto the pipe

it's on the back... I fitted Highway Hawk boards after she slipped off the peg in the rain whilst climbing on the bike. Unfortunately she still managed to put her foot on the exhaust even with these on :(

Will have a look tomorrow hopefully & let you know how I get on (fingers crossed)

Well had a go today, placed a magnet on exhaust which stuck... left the Autosol aside. Used a big blob of polish & rubbed it lightly with v.fine wire wool came straight off & no marks. - tested on both my XVS125 and my brother's VT125 first to make sure... (had also used this method to remove rust from my Dragstar rims last year but was a bit worried about doing it on chrome)

Only problem after that was I covered my bike with ACF-50 afterwards (as recomended by my dealer) which left it covered in an oily residue - all my lovely polished chrome was no longer shiney :( Spent the rest of the day washing the stuff off (tomorrow re polish my chrome!)

Thanks for all your suggestions on removing rubber. Spoke to my neighbour afterwards (he was a cobbler until he retired last year) wwho also recomends any solvent (white spirit, petrol - wash off as some as softens rubber) and WD40...

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem (now off to remove the missus' feet!)

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem (now off to remove the missus' feet!)

Please dont! :( My mate had both his feet amputated and he died of a Heroin addiction. :mellow: He couldn't kick the habit. ;):D:P

ATB

Ian

Well had a go today, placed a magnet on exhaust which stuck... left the Autosol aside. Used a big blob of polish & rubbed it lightly with v.fine wire wool came straight off & no marks. - tested on both my XVS125 and my brother's VT125 first to make sure... (had also used this method to remove rust from my Dragstar rims last year but was a bit worried about doing it on chrome)

Only problem after that was I covered my bike with ACF-50 afterwards (as recomended by my dealer) which left it covered in an oily residue - all my lovely polished chrome was no longer shiney :( Spent the rest of the day washing the stuff off (tomorrow re polish my chrome!)

Thanks for all your suggestions on removing rubber. Spoke to my neighbour afterwards (he was a cobbler until he retired last year) wwho also recomends any solvent (white spirit, petrol - wash off as some as softens rubber) and WD40...

Glad it worked for you to! Its a bit of a worry when u start but it does actually work!

I had to buy the wife a "new " bike this weekend, so now I have a nice Suzuki Intruder VS800 for sale with your wife’s name on it! :-) She wanted something more sporty so we got her a old ZZR 600, but it has to be said the Intruder is a real nice starter bike... v low not to heavy, mind you the exhaust is covered in rubber! :-)

Thanks for the offer of the bike, but having seen her ride a mountain bike I think she's better off on the back of mine!

Decided to leave her feet on in the end, am attaching roller skates to them instead which I'm hoping may help me go round bends quicker!!! :lol:

Thanks for the offer of the bike, but having seen her ride a mountain bike I think she's better off on the back of mine!

Decided to leave her feet on in the end, am attaching roller skates to them instead which I'm hoping may help me go round bends quicker!!! :lol:

Roller skates, now that’s an idea that may work!

Have you started to grind the foot plates yet?

I am a member of the local Advanced Motorcycle group ( not that my riding is all that advanced personally )... they run a course called "Look Lean and Role", where you get to ride around a sort of test track in tighter and tighter turns... as you can imagine mostly sports bikes there, and me on the 1300... it wasn’t long before I was grinding both sides into the floor... scary at first, but with the folding plates, and the weight of the bike it doesn’t have much effect on your lines...

We had a weekend in Wales last weekend with the group, it was great, clearly our cursers aren’t as fast as most, but frankly we could keep up with the vast majority, and given the torouge of the 1300 it was possible to pull away a bit on some of the less experienced riders out of the bends

Great bikes!

Sounds really good, think I'll have to join a riding group up here in W Yorkshire at some point to benefit from other rider's experience etc.

Haven't ground my plates yet, not quite done 1000 miles yet so still getting the feel for the bike (roll on next summer!!!) Having said that haven't ground my pegs on my 125 Dragstar though came close today on my brother's 125 Shadow!

Besides every time I go out on the 1300 the other half comes with me - don't think she's appreciate footboard grinding, though it may be the solution to not getting rubber on my exhaust again!!!

Sounds really good, think I'll have to join a riding group up here in W Yorkshire at some point to benefit from other rider's experience etc.

Haven't ground my plates yet, not quite done 1000 miles yet so still getting the feel for the bike (roll on next summer!!!) Having said that haven't ground my pegs on my 125 Dragstar though came close today on my brother's 125 Shadow!

Besides every time I go out on the 1300 the other half comes with me - don't think she's appreciate footboard grinding, though it may be the solution to not getting rubber on my exhaust again!!!

Only a 1000 miles... ah I'm at 12,000 and second service time, we did over 1,000 on a trip to scotland :-)

I got to say the Advanced Motor Cycle group down hear are pretty good.. I passed my test awhile ago and am now doing some more Advanced training this weekend.... its always great to have someone else to ride out with.

I also joined the Virago Star Owners Club, which again are a nice bunch, I think the lot up your way are very active, and more cruiser focused, and lots of trips to Rallies... I think I'm getting a bit old for camping, but we did have a nice time in Holland, it did take me back to my youth...

Grinding the boards with the wife on is maybe not such a great idea... mind you mine leans her bike my further than I lean mine :-)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online