First Bike: 1995 Yamaha XJ600S

DaAznRider
This post is 5331 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just got my bike today. When I got there, there were ashes, cobwebs and such all over it. Doesn't even have any fairings on it.

I have the ability to work on cars, but I have no idea how to work on bikes. Is there a checklist I should run through maintenance wise? (Did I mention I broke down in the middle of traffic today?)

Also, any miscellaneous info about the XJ600 would be great. I got it mainly as a beater bike, but if I can eventually restore it to it's former brand-new glory, I'll be a happy man.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi DaAznRider!

I have a XJ600S -94 myself. You will find your unvaluable maintenance bible at www.haynes.com. It costs 42$ and is worth every penny :-)

Everything is explained very well and with pictures to go along. You can obviously work on it yourself, and may with proper maintenance have a bike for many years. Any weaknesses with the XJ600? I know of two that I have experienced myself.

1. The fuel tap - it's of the membrane type. When it fails, fuel may flood the carbs and float into the cylinder heads. When you start the engine the next time, all this fuel is ignited, with a risk for possible damage to piston rods and so on. I trashed an engine this way :-( How to check: remove the fuel line from the fuel filter, on the fuel tap side. If no fuel pours down from the fuel tank, its okay. When fuel is pouring; replace the fuel tap. Dont waste money on a repair set.

2. The fuel pump up to -95 model (vacuum type). I changed it 3 years ago, and now it has given in again. From -95 on, I believe the pump is electric. If you have an electric one, you're in the clear. I will now buy an electric pump, change the bracket to fit, and find power somewhere.

Good luck DaAznRider! Ride on!

Cheers, Divvy94