Need help in identiying this bike......

Matt G
This post is 5385 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

I was able to take some photos, so, now I'd appreciate any help in identifying what I have here (year and model). The bike seems to have been sorely abused and it's difficult to tell what is missing, if anything (other than the cylinder head, carburetor and air box). I'm still searching for a carb.

It's a red Yamaha GT80 (that's what the decals on the gas and oil tanks says). The "Spec Plate" on the rear fender shows the date of manufactrer as "5/1978." The frame and engine nos. match "367-5023**." There are no lights (headlight, taillight, or turn signals) on the bike and it doesn't appear as if any were mounted originally.

So, is it a 1978 GT80E? Is it an MX80? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I'll try again to post the photos. Apparently the forum doesn't accept links to photobucket. I'll have to review the photo posting guidelines and see if I can get them uploaded. The white you'll see splashed all over the bike appears to be house paint that was projectile vomited onto the poor thing. Luckily, liberal use of a polishing compound seems to be working a treat and I should be able to save the decals and paint.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi chap

I spoke to Yamaha, i forget which department but gave them my chassis number of an old off road dt i got hold of and they gave me model number year and registration plate

very helpfull ;->

Mark