dt 175 ignition help

yazholes
This post is 5366 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have just brought a realy cheap dt 175 sight un seen (silly move i know) and i just found out why it was so cheap the wiering is all disconected. i was woundering if i could get some help please.

the magneto has 6 wieres: brown, black, red/white, yellow, green and blue

the CDI has 6 as well but in 2 lots of 3: lot 1: brown, black, red/white lot 2: black, black/white, orange

im gessing the brown, black, red/white on the magneto go to the same colour on the CDI but where do the rest go? and there are all these other wiers do i need to do any thing to them or just get rid of them.

im just riding in the bush so i just gota get the old girl runing any info is good info thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi i have just brought a realy cheap dt 175 sight un seen (silly move i know) and i just found out why it was so cheap the wiering is all disconected. i was woundering if i could get some help please.

the magneto has 6 wieres: brown, black, red/white, yellow, green and blue

the CDI has 6 as well but in 2 lots of 3: lot 1: brown, black, red/white lot 2: black, black/white, orange

im gessing the brown, black, red/white on the magneto go to the same colour on the CDI but where do the rest go? and there are all these other wiers do i need to do any thing to them or just get rid of them.

im just riding in the bush so i just gota get the old girl runing any info is good info thanks

Black/white to kill switch, orange to ignition coil, black to chassis. The other colours from the magneto are lighting and battery charging coils so depends on whether youre going to run with lights and a battery.

...Paul

Black/white to kill switch, orange to ignition coil, black to chassis. The other colours from the magneto are lighting and battery charging coils so depends on whether youre going to run with lights and a battery.

...Paul

thanks for the super Quick reply

ive done as follows magneto wier to CDI

magneto CDI

red/white to red/white

brown to brown

black to black to chassis

and the orange from CDI to coil. still no spark, the only wiers that have power from the magneto are the yellow and green is this normal if so how do i get power to the CDI. the kill switch can be left disconected hay. thanks

thanks for the super Quick reply

ive done as follows magneto wier to CDI

magneto CDI

red/white to red/white

brown to brown

black to black to chassis

and the orange from CDI to coil. still no spark, the only wiers that have power from the magneto are the yellow and green is this normal if so how do i get power to the CDI. the kill switch can be left disconected hay. thanks

What have you done with the black and white wire, as that goes to the kill switch and if its earthed then, no spark.

The CDI generates ALL the power it needs from the mag, the ig system is completely self contained so if its a bush basher you can sling most of it, battery included.

What have you done with the black and white wire, as that goes to the kill switch and if its earthed then, no spark.

The CDI generates ALL the power it needs from the mag, the ig system is completely self contained so if its a bush basher you can sling most of it, battery included.

another quick reply i like this.

cool thanks mate i dont have the black/white wier conected to any thing its just sitting there its just a single wier hay. so does it sound like ive got it hooked up right. thanks

another quick reply i like this.

cool thanks mate i dont have the black/white wier conected to any thing its just sitting there its just a single wier hay. so does it sound like ive got it hooked up right. thanks

Right give this a try,

brown to brown, red/w to red/w and black to black but NOT ground.

Now with lot 2 from the cdi orange to the coil, black and white NOT earthed and black to chassis.

Does that make sense?

Right give this a try,

brown to brown, red/w to red/w and black to black but NOT ground.

Now with lot 2 from the cdi orange to the coil, black and white NOT earthed and black to chassis.

Does that make sense?

i did what you said and i kicked it and it gave me a small zap then i did it a few more times and it wouldnt zap me again what does that mean, shouldnt it be a pritty noticable shock if it zapes me. thanks

i did what you said and i kicked it and it gave me a small zap then i did it a few more times and it wouldnt zap me again what does that mean, shouldnt it be a pritty noticable shock if it zapes me. thanks

Zaped from where? were you hanging onto the plug?

Thery are all good connections arn't they not just twisted wire and gaffer tape?

Have you a fresh plug to try.

Zaped from where? were you hanging onto the plug?

Thery are all good connections arn't they not just twisted wire and gaffer tape?

Have you a fresh plug to try.

hay mate thanks for your help. i got spark again like i had yesterday but its not enough to arch out the spark plug. i got a new plug and tryed it again but still only a little zap, could the magneto not be sending enough charge.

yhar i had my finger on the tip of the plug and it arched through my hand to the kick start

there all factry conections and ive unpluged and pluged them back in incase of corrosion. thnaks

hay mate thanks for your help. i got spark again like i had yesterday but its not enough to arch out the spark plug. i got a new plug and tryed it again but still only a little zap, could the magneto not be sending enough charge.

yhar i had my finger on the tip of the plug and it arched through my hand to the kick start

there all factry conections and ive unpluged and pluged them back in incase of corrosion. thnaks

Check the resistance values of your magneto source coil = 420 ohms +- 10%............Brown to chassis

Check the resistance of the magneto pulse coil = 12.4 ohms +- 10%...........White / Red to chassis

Check the resistance values of the ignition coil, Primary = 1.0 ohm =- 15%, secondary = 5900 ohms +- 20%

Check the resistance values of your magneto source coil = 420 ohms +- 10%............Brown to chassis

Check the resistance of the magneto pulse coil = 12.4 ohms +- 10%...........White / Red to chassis

Check the resistance values of the ignition coil, Primary = 1.0 ohm =- 15%, secondary = 5900 ohms +- 20%

ok thanks mate ill give that a go, if it is the magneto is there a way to repair it, it sounds like it just needs a cleane up it was sitting in the guys shed for a while and it had mud all over it. where can i buy parts for this bike is there a place on the net. thnaks again

ok thanks mate ill give that a go, if it is the magneto is there a way to repair it, it sounds like it just needs a cleane up it was sitting in the guys shed for a while and it had mud all over it. where can i buy parts for this bike is there a place on the net. thnaks again

Mighjt be an idea to get a proper flywheel puller first, ( I think it has a 27mm thread) take the flywheel off and have a look at the components of the back plate to see if all looks well, not rusty and full of crud. As for parts.i use ebay, wemoto, motolink, ebay...and for genuine yamaha parts ...fowlers of Bristol

Mighjt be an idea to get a proper flywheel puller first, ( I think it has a 27mm thread) take the flywheel off and have a look at the components of the back plate to see if all looks well, not rusty and full of crud. As for parts.i use ebay, wemoto, motolink, ebay...and for genuine yamaha parts ...fowlers of Bristol

ok thanks mate. so how do i remove it take the nut off then do i need some sort of puller to remove it. thanks

Just an idea but have you re-made the connection between the plug cap and the fat lead from the ig coil as that can get all shitty real fast and ruin your day.

ok thanks mate. so how do i remove it take the nut off then do i need some sort of puller to remove it. thanks

I use one of these

400_ChainWrench.jpg

To get a grip of the flywheel, while the centre nut is undone, works best with something between the chain and flywheel (strip of inner tube, rubber glove etc)

400_FlyWrench.jpg

Then use a pupose made flywheel puller (27mm thread) like this

400_Puller.jpg

400_FlyPuller.jpg

to remove the flywheel. The chain type wrench is also used when re torqueing the centre nut on re-assembly.

Thats a good point from Cynic though...an easy check to make on the HT cap connection.

I use one of these

400_ChainWrench.jpg

To get a grip of the flywheel, while the centre nut is undone, works best with something between the chain and flywheel (strip of inner tube, rubber glove etc)

400_FlyWrench.jpg

Then use a pupose made flywheel puller (27mm thread) like this

400_Puller.jpg

400_FlyPuller.jpg

to remove the flywheel. The chain type wrench is also used when re torqueing the centre nut on re-assembly.

Thats a good point from Cynic though...an easy check to make on the HT cap connection.

OG i wish you would put some effort into your replies............. :D

cynic: please don't be so hard on old git, he has been to the coast and developed food poisoning at a french restaurant from

"Le sea bass, stirred"

they say, you are what you eat.... :hungry:

cynic: please don't be so hard on old git, he has been to the coast and developed food poisoning at a french restaurant from

"Le sea bass, stirred"

they say, you are what you eat.... :hungry:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online