anyone else hate driving?

hate_camel
This post is 5366 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

maybe thats a stupid topic to start on a bike forum, but I hate driving cars! No just getting stuck in traffic, but the actual process of driving those big metal boxes around town feels like trying to manoeuvre a very big thing down a very small passage (insert smutty remark here lol). In contrast when I'm on my bike I feel safe, i have a great field of vision, I'm able to anticipate other road users, can nip through the gaps that cars get stuck in and i love every single mile. When I jump back in the car I'm nervous and to be honest feel completely useless behind the wheel! Its probably a case of inexperience, I passed my test years ago but haven't driven regularly since, but then again, I loved the bike from day one.

Anyone else the same? In fact it would be interesting to know how many people use their bike as their only form of transport...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

maybe thats a stupid topic to start on a bike forum, but I hate driving cars! No just getting stuck in traffic, but the actual process of driving those big metal boxes around town feels like trying to manoeuvre a very big thing down a very small passage (insert smutty remark here lol). In contrast when I'm on my bike I feel safe, i have a great field of vision, I'm able to anticipate other road users, can nip through the gaps that cars get stuck in and i love every single mile. When I jump back in the car I'm nervous and to be honest feel completely useless behind the wheel! Its probably a case of inexperience, I passed my test years ago but haven't driven regularly since, but then again, I loved the bike from day one.

Anyone else the same? In fact it would be interesting to know how many people use their bike as their only form of transport...

Yes i used to ride all year but it just f##ks the bike so i USE the car and enjoy the bikes, its even better when i have been in the truck all day to get out for the trip home on the bike.

i know the feeling, i dont like being in cars, i choose to ride if i can because i feel like i have direct control of the bike

it could all chang ein winter, however, being able to get into my warm car with a heater... and a windscreen... and a huge soundsystem... and recaro seats... and a set of phat alloys... and a little set of fluffy dice hanging from the rear-view mirror...

ford capri 1.6 laser ;)

i ve only just got my bike and ive ditched my tranny van to ride to work everyday , its only been 1 week now and have rode in the rain and still love it , its just like you say the freedom of it just puts a smile on my soaked face ( quite a regular experience riding to manchester everyday )its also knocked 10 mins off my journey zippin through the traffic I LOVE IT lol suckers sat there in their tin boxes ha ha anyway i suppose that will all change wen winter rears its head........ doh time to be another sheep.........anyway be cool ride safe an take care daz b :D

people laugh at me (mainly in work) cos i run a battered mondeo. but i really don't enjoy driving a car, there are a few advantages of cars for me: load lugging, i can chuck all my stuff in my car no-sweat and tow a trailer etc, cars are by-and-large cheaper to run (insurance and fuel excepted) and i can listen to the radio, other than that bikes win out every time.

its a fairly soulless experience driving even quick cars (slow by bike standards), you can tell people who ride or have ridden bikes as they are always more passionate about bikes than cars.

rather ride the bike,i dont have to pick milk N bread up,for the wife.besides i sprout horns in the car and every body turns into a twat :angry::angry::angry:

rather ride the bike,i dont have to pick milk N bread up,for the wife.besides i sprout horns in the car and every body turns into a twat :angry::angry::angry:

I bet your just pretending to be a tit - but your doing it REALLY well. ;)

ATB

Ian :D

Guest chrisw1958

MMMMMMMMM Good morning,rode my bike into work today and loved it.

Seems like i've been a twat for the rest of the week.

Get real, suprised you still have a wife :huh:

I always take a bike over the car, unless there is a bloody good reason (or I'm forced to), such as the family, shopping, moving the dogs around, that sort of thing. For work, no matter were I have to be (and I can be anywhere) I take the bike, people used to look at the weather worn gear and you could see the look in thier eyes (something like "you scruffy bastard"), but I'm always there on time, never complain about the traffic and even smile when I walk into the office dripping wet!!

As for the car, until last month I had a Landrover (yes I'm a plannet killer etc etc) and to be honest they aren't the fastest things on the road, so you fall into the mindset of slow plodding along in the traffic. I used to see bikes going past and give out a little sigh (I never realised I did this, the missus told me!), but I never got annoyed or frustrated as I just didn't have the 'go' to get through the traffic, so I never minded too much.

Now I've chopped in the Landy for a much much faster beast, this thing can fly andit's an oil burner too! The problem is, now I get really frustrated as I know I have the power to get past people but there are too many dicks using inappropriate speed - I mean 25mph on a national limit B road should be an endorsable offence FFS. Now I have a car that I actually enjoy driving, I can't enjoy it because of the fast majority of idiots who can't drive (in accordance with the highway code and road conditions). You either get the idiot Boy Racers in thier Saxo's and Corsa's trying to pass you, then take a stupid risk to get past, then sit 2 feet off the wagon in front wondering why there isn't any room to get past when they don't realise if they pulled back they get a better view of the road - Wankers! Or you get Mr 'I've been driving for 40 years me, and 30mph is plenty on this <60mph> road' .......... and you have no chance.

The biggest problem is that 90% of the drivers and riders out there don't actually know thier highway code (sorry this is UK specific I know) correctly, or appriciate the rules for them may be different to other vehicles (speed restrictions on a National Speed Limit Road for instance), I had a 'discussion' with a guy the other day about 'bloody wagons' trundling along at 40-50mph on the A69. It wasn't till I pointed out that at 50MPH the wagons were actually speeding! IDIOTS!

A couple of weeks ago, I was stopped by a plod in a car (not the propper trafic police) for overtaking on a zebra crossing. I pointed out that I was not overtaking, I was filtering as my speed was only 5mph over the ambiet trafic. Secondly I pointed out that the traffic wasn't stopped at the crossing to let anyone cross it, the traffic was stopped because conditions prevented it from moving. I then produced the higway code book (been under my seat since I started my IAM training) and allowed plod to read it. Then, and I couldn't believe this, he decided 'to let me off with a warning'. FFS. I refused this of course and asked him for what offence I was being warned for, he couldn't answer, appologised and left!!! Anyway this is way off topic, but I just got going and as you know, once I get going I find it hard to stop!!

However,

I drive my car more than i ride my bike - i have to. I have 3 kids.

I would much rather be taking the bike - well except when im doing the weekly shop!

I am (apparently) according to my OH - an "aggressive" driver - i dont think so - i just want to get there in once piece without some myopic arsehole trying to ram his range rover into me!

I used to drive an ambulance - and i guess i still have the "get outta ma way!" mentality :rolleyes:

Yes, he does have a wife and very nice she is too. (You never know whoes reading this ;) ).

Please dont take the 'p' out of UP YOURS as that is my aim and ambition in life. Your pathetic little comment has been noted.

ATB

J

Ja ja, you stick it to Da Man, Gas-up!!!

:lol:

I ride every single day, all year, all weathers.

Used to walk everywhere because cars were so bloody expensive and because it kept me fit.

Cars are still fecking expensive. I don't even blink when spending out on anything for the bike!!

I probably wouldn't mind driving, but I'll be picking a vehicle that suits me anyway.

Something like an upgraded ex-military Landrover, with oodles of add-ons and custom gadgetry.

As is, I sometimes ride with the OH in her car, but we often argue because I'd rather we rode....

Yes, he does have a wife and very nice she is too. (You never know whoes reading this ;) ).

Please dont take the 'p' out of UP YOURS as that is my aim and ambition in life. Your pathetic little comment has been noted.

ATB

J

Easy tiger......

Something like an upgraded ex-military Landrover, with oodles of add-ons and custom gadgetry.
Aha "master" a man after me own heart" i drive aL.Rover90 . has all the mods . even a galvanized chassis [ fitted myself] 220,000.mls mostly on cooking oil 35p a ltr [ were tight fkrs member]

But gettn on bike at weekends is brilliant :D turns u into a different person [freedom& commeradery]

U never see car drivers be-friending each other. And the sound of this H2 Triple is simply awsome, :rolleyes: why didn"t Yamaha make a two-stroke triple .. the xs750 at the time was bland[ like most XS"s drew :lol: ps ] answers on a post card please

MMMMMMMMM Good morning,rode my bike into work today and loved it.

yes serprise-serprise she just cant get enough of me :D

He was describing the effect being in a car has on him.

Most people drive very differently to how they ride.

My own OH becomes an absolute demon.

He was describing the effect being in a car has on him.

Most people drive very differently to how they ride.

My own OH becomes an absolute demon.

thats what im getting at ,when im on the bike i mellow out,i feel untouchable ,and when im in the car ,other drivers mistakes quickly get to me ,hens me thinking that they are t...s

I used to drive an ambulance - and i guess i still have the "get outta ma way!" mentality :rolleyes:

So did I, great feeling of power, like the parting of the waves.

Been back on bikes now for over a month, having spent the last 17+ years driving due to having 6 kids. I figured hell they all growing up now i can use the midlife crisis trick as an excuse to get a bike and it will save me money cos its cheaper to run and dammned good fun!!....well it aint cheaper to run atm cos i spend so much time riding now im using more fuel than the car lol....i went out to get a paper the other day 20 miles away....then thought id just pop a little further up the road and get me a nice bacon n egg bun and a coffee from the burger van...may aswell just go a little further up the road ......70 miles later im home again lol. £10 in the car i get 2 days worth of town driving (more on long runs) £10 in the bike = hours of fun, covered 1500 miles so far in over a month :lol:

I find myself falling asleep so to speak in a car...yes its nice to do the shopping in and keeps u dry n warm in bad weather but its just so boring!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online