Introducing myself

langers_2004
This post is 5428 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, i have just bought a sr125. It's my second bike and im coming from a sachs xtc supersport.

I havent got the bike yet but bought it for 400 no tax or mot and have it booked in this saturday with my local garage.

Here is a pic

BYGhRmkKGrHgoH-CIEjlLl4NtwBKfmwSqZ_.jpg

It has covered just 1066 miles and is a 1999 reg, and was apparently dry stored for 7 years.

Is there anything i should do or check as soon as i get it?

Im also looking to get a visor or screen for the front. Just a small clear one, teardrop in shape. Has anyone done this modification.

Also are the bikes restricted at all, obviously i know its not going to be lightning fast but every little helps. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi langers and welcome to the forum.

After such an extended storage time you will have lots to check and remedy

Have a look at the battery, it is very likely to be sulphated and no use any longer. replace it and check for corrosion of the terminals and battery compartment.
    Remove the carb if it has one strip and clean it thoroughly using carb cleaner (keep this away from rubber components) and compressed air.
    Drain the fuel tank and check operation of the fuel tap (petcock)
    Place bike on centre stand and inspect tyres for hardness, cracks and flat spots, pump them up to specifications.
    Rotate rear wheel and check chain for kinks/tight links lube if ok.
    Walk with the bike and test the brakes are working
    When you have a good battery, check the operation of lights and horn
    check oil level before running the engine, when engine has run to hot replace oil and any filter if fitted

...Paul

Wellcome to the Y.O.C., langers !

Nice babe you´ve got there.

Hi langers and welcome to the forum.

After such an extended storage time you will have lots to check and remedy

Have a look at the battery, it is very likely to be sulphated and no use any longer. replace it and check for corrosion of the terminals and battery compartment.
    Remove the carb if it has one strip and clean it thoroughly using carb cleaner (keep this away from rubber components) and compressed air.
    Drain the fuel tank and check operation of the fuel tap (petcock)
    Place bike on centre stand and inspect tyres for hardness, cracks and flat spots, pump them up to specifications.
    Rotate rear wheel and check chain for kinks/tight links lube if ok.
    Walk with the bike and test the brakes are working
    When you have a good battery, check the operation of lights and horn
    check oil level before running the engine, when engine has run to hot replace oil and any filter if fitted

...Paul

Cheers for that. The bike was started every couple of days a week so shouldn't be too bad. I do need a battery however, where is the best place for this. They seem to be expensive on ebay. What is best to put on the chain to keep it clean and lubbed up? And is there a how to, about the carb?

Does anyone know about a screen/visor to go above the front light, or any little tweaks to increase performance.

Cheers for any help very new to this world :rolleyes:

Update!

I have just found these are they any good?

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Power_Air_Fi...6-8897-386.html

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Oil_Filter.-...2-8899-386.html

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/1.00_O--Size...8-8899-386.html

Hi welcome nice little bike you got there a coupls of question 1 why do you need a power air filter, unless you know what you are up too this can cause more problems than it is worth (rejetting etc) and seize the engine, 2 what do you want the piston for ??? 3 the standard air filter yes that will be ok but check with your yam dealer before you buy cos the genuine one maybe cheaper, Oh and Paul Smeeton that owns bitzforbikes is a great guy good to deal with and always ready to help on the end of the phone

Merv

Hi welcome nice little bike you got there a coupls of question 1 why do you need a power air filter, unless you know what you are up too this can cause more problems than it is worth (rejetting etc) and seize the engine, 2 what do you want the piston for ??? 3 the standard air filter yes that will be ok but check with your yam dealer before you buy cos the genuine one maybe cheaper, Oh and Paul Smeeton that owns bitzforbikes is a great guy good to deal with and always ready to help on the end of the phone

Merv

I have just found that replacing the standard box with one of these generally makes performance smoother? It says the bike may not need rejetting? I fitted a k&n to my sachs and it made a huge difference.

I was looking at the larger piston as someone else advised me this was a good modification. And in regards to the oil filter again i thought an aftermarket one like this would be better for performance.

Open to any suggestions but i was just looking at tweaking the bike slightly, not for speed performance but for smoothness etc.

bigger piston requires rebore, will not increase performance just replace worn parts, air filters fitted as standard are usually the best compromise for all situations, fitting afermarket ones is ok if you know what you are up too, and to be honest saying rejetting may not be needed is a cover your ass situation when selling it, covers them for any problems it may cause and makes you think i i will not have too rejet, but when yuor engine blows it is down to you, as for ol filter wil not make a blind bit of difference to performance, Oh and K&n filters are best for airflow

merv

bigger piston requires rebore, will not increase performance just replace worn parts, air filters fitted as standard are usually the best compromise for all situations, fitting afermarket ones is ok if you know what you are up too, and to be honest saying rejetting may not be needed is a cover your ass situation when selling it, covers them for any problems it may cause and makes you think i i will not have too rejet, but when yuor engine blows it is down to you, as for ol filter wil not make a blind bit of difference to performance, Oh and K&n filters are best for airflow

merv

Ok so your saying its best just to replace with service items from yamaha. Would it be worth using the air filter if i fitted a new jet? It just seemed to make such a difference on my other bike.

The other thing ive heard is that in the exhaust engine side there is something that can be removed is this correct? Is this de-restricting it?

Thanks for your help

well if you are going to try the filter do a plug chop to see what is going on, look at your plug now after a good quick run it should be a chocolate brown to strawy colour, fit the filter go out somewhere where you can give the bike a good fast run in top gear, you need a straight piesce of raod with a convenient layby/ gateway at the end, run the bike flat in top for a while down the road slight uphill will not hurt, kill the engine from top speed knock it out of gear first and run into layby, give it a while to cool remove plug and look at the colour, if it si still a nice choccy light brown colour you should ok, if not rejet too suit, not sure abut the exhaust it could well be restricted but refer to someone who knows before chopping it about

merv

from personal experiance, i can say that the performance "pod" air filters are more hastle than they are worth, i had one fitted to my DT50 and it caused it to run rich at mid-revs and bog down, and then run slightly lean at high RPMs

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online