Pistons & Rings

johnnynhl
This post is 5389 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

I am restoring an 1980 XS1100 US import and want to know where I can source Pistons/Rings/Valves etc.

Help appreciatted, also does anyone have original rear indicators, some twat put on a pair of plastic aftermarket indicators.

cheers

Johnny

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys

I am restoring an 1980 XS1100 US import and want to know where I can source Pistons/Rings/Valves etc.

Help appreciatted, also does anyone have original rear indicators, some twat put on a pair of plastic aftermarket indicators.

cheers

Johnny

I'm not sure how easy they are on your side of the pond. I know there is an XS1100 specific site over there (kind of a sister sight to the US XS11.com) but I don't know if they have someone on there who deals in a lot of those parts like we do on the US site. Most of that stuff is NOT available from yamaha anymore, but there is an aftermarket co call wiseco that sells a big bore kit that comes with both rings and pistons, valves I think might still be gotten from yamaha but they are quite pricey, most of us are pretty much sourcing used good condition parts, but these engines are known to go well over 100k if taken care of (althought mine only got a bit over 80k and has a bad rod bearing, so I'm replacing the engine soon (but not until it quits, I want to see just how far it goes first (and yes I have roadside assistance on the bike))).

I'm not sure how easy they are on your side of the pond. I know there is an XS1100 specific site over there (kind of a sister sight to the US XS11.com) but I don't know if they have someone on there who deals in a lot of those parts like we do on the US site. Most of that stuff is NOT available from yamaha anymore, but there is an aftermarket co call wiseco that sells a big bore kit that comes with both rings and pistons, valves I think might still be gotten from yamaha but they are quite pricey, most of us are pretty much sourcing used good condition parts, but these engines are known to go well over 100k if taken care of (althought mine only got a bit over 80k and has a bad rod bearing, so I'm replacing the engine soon (but not until it quits, I want to see just how far it goes first (and yes I have roadside assistance on the bike))).

Hi Cy

Thanks for the prompt reply, she has done 90K and the bores are in great condition but I would like to replace the pistons and rings. The valve seats look to need re-ground as there is not much left on the lip so I was just going to replace the valves, but I guess if they prove expensive I guess it's clean and lap them in.

Thanks

Johnny

Hi Cy

Thanks for the prompt reply, she has done 90K and the bores are in great condition but I would like to replace the pistons and rings. The valve seats look to need re-ground as there is not much left on the lip so I was just going to replace the valves, but I guess if they prove expensive I guess it's clean and lap them in.

Thanks

Johnny

Try Granby Motors in Ilkeston (0115) 930 0020, you may be surprised at what they have in stock