numb hands

tigger
This post is 5345 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest chrisw1958

my dad had a similar problem on his XJR1300 because of the riding position, he sold it having put less than 1000 miles on the clock

Well thats just cheered her up :rolleyes:

my dad had a similar problem on his XJR1300 because of the riding position, he sold it having put less than 1000 miles on theclock
foamy knows how to cheer people up , :unsure::unsure:

ah its not so bad, my old man never rides much anyway only about 3 or 4 days in a year, he has a beautiful CBR900 RR (Urban tiger version with the kick ass paintjob) that hasn't been out of the garage for a year! :o , ive tried persuading him to let me ride it after ive thrown the jawa down the road a few times but he is somewhat reluctant

didn't some the guys who used to ride british singles in the 50s/60s, wrap sheet lead off cuts around the bars (near the grips) to damp out the vibes? always worth a try.

I find on my ZL that once the carbs go out of synch I get vibes through the right hand grip. Could be worth having the carb balance checked or is it fool injection? Just a thought. ;)

ATB

Ian :rolleyes:

ah its not so bad, my old man never rides much anyway only about 3 or 4 days in a year, he has a beautiful CBR900 RR (Urban tiger version with the kick ass paintjob) that hasn't been out of the garage for a year! :o , ive tried persuading him to let me ride it after ive thrown the jawa down the road a few times but he is somewhat reluctant

your dads smart :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

me N rob and my mate phil have different bikes ,and we all get numb hands, but we all have carpul tunnel,ive had one hand opperated on and its stopped it in that hand.maybe you have it, just a thought.

I think Goff has the answer, I find if I'm being a lazy arse and putting the weight of my body down my arms, especially at low speed constant stuff then I get a 'tingling'

Try rolling your hips forward a little, this will put you back into a better posture taking the weight off the bars. It also improves your steering, especially at low speed stuff.

I can't imaging that there is any issue with the distance from the seat to the bars, unless it's been modified for a rider with longer arms, but you couls also look to tilit the bars in the current clamps. dead easy to get this right, loosen off the clamp bolts, sit on the bike and hold the bars in a comfortable possition and get someone to nip up the clamp bolts.

These are things you can try before spending any cash.

I think Goff has the answer, I find if I'm being a lazy arse and putting the weight of my body down my arms, especially at low speed constant stuff then I get a 'tingling'

Try rolling your hips forward a little, this will put you back into a better posture taking the weight off the bars. It also improves your steering, especially at low speed stuff.

I can't imaging that there is any issue with the distance from the seat to the bars, unless it's been modified for a rider with longer arms, but you couls also look to tilit the bars in the current clamps. dead easy to get this right, loosen off the clamp bolts, sit on the bike and hold the bars in a comfortable possition and get someone to nip up the clamp bolts.

These are things you can try before spending any cash.

As gas say's. Its amazing how many people dont adjust a bike to fit them. When you are sat in your normal riding position with your fingers resting on the levers it should form a straight line up to your elbow. If it doesent you are affecting the nerves and bloodflow tto your hands.

thanks for all your suggestions on curing numb hands

hubbies been riding bikes for 45 years so he knows all about riding positions and adjustments

its not any of those

bikes been back at dealers for 3 weeks waiting for them to sort it

when he starts it up it takes about 4secs for fuel injection to prime

when its running it sounds like cam chain is falling off

it vibrates really bad

and drinks petrol

dealer brought it back today said it was sorted but was even worse

has anyone else had any problems like this

come on you lot

bike still in dock

dealer sent it back just as bad if not worse

cant beleive no one else has had a similar problem

or even an opinion

hubbie going again on wed to see if problem solved

wont hold my breath

well i suppose iff no one else is going to reply ,i stand by my carpul tunnel theary,as i said i had one hand done and i no longer suffer numbness in that hand,the other i need to shake to get the blood flow going now and then when i ride the bike,it used to happen alot when i used a playstation joy pad,any way just tell me to piss off if you think im talkin bollacks,i dont mind.

thanks 4 numb hand suggestion

but we are more bothered about sorting out probs with bike

think the numbness was caused by the awful vibration or should i say abnormal vibration

obviously no one else has had this problem

my husband has a new yamaha 1300 which sends his hands numb after 30mins riding

spoke to yamaha and they said they had heard of similar complaints

anyone out there experienced same

i am not suprised yamaha have said they have heard of similar complaints, as far back as 2003 there have been articles where test riders in magazine articles have complained about numb hands.

this just one of many

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=142849

quote is half way down under performance

as no one else on here seems to have a similart bike i suggest you contact yamaha again and ask what if anything was done to sort these complaints

when he starts it up it takes about 4secs for fuel injection to prime

I've an 08 XJR1300, mine does this too, sounds like something is grinding in the tank ?? I understand it is the fuel injection 'purging' the whole fuel line.

when its running it sounds like cam chain is falling off

The engine is a little noisy when it's cold, lets face it the motor has been around for years, so it's not a nice modern lowe tolerence power plant. Sound great when it's warm.

it vibrates really bad

No, this isn't good. Mine is as smooth as silk - then again I ride mostly singles so I know what vibration really is!

and drinks petrol

When you say drinks, how much? I get about 120 miles before the 'F' trip comes on, but the fuel gauges in Yamaha's are at best , conservative! My Tenere says's it empty when there is still 7 litres of fuel in the tank..

The vibration could be something as simple as a wrong torque setting on an engine mount - the Varaderos used to run like pigs if these weren't set right. Or it could be a buggered engine - or anything in between...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online