Using Radflush

mick600
This post is 5545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had a bit of a water leak a week or two ago. No bother, an easy fix, just had to replace a hose clip and all was well. I noticed tho that the water that leaked out was a distinctly rusty colour. Now, Ive never changed the coolant since I had the bike (bad of me I know) But when we used to do that on cars and trucks at the garage I worked at many moons ago. We always used to put some Rad-flush thru the system before we dropped the water to wash out any muck and rubbish. Can you use the same stuff on bike engines? With them being a little more fragile than the big old lorries I used to work on I wasnt sure.

Also, when filling the coolant back up, is the premixed stuff ok to use or do you still have to do it the old fashioned way and faff around getting the water / anti-freeze ratios correct?

Its on a '95 FZR600R just for info

Cheers to the knowledgable people out there

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well if you can still get radflush i would use it, also i tend too take the rad/and/or pipes off and backflush it , I:E take a hose and squirt water in from the bottom end it moves some of the crap that will not get moved other wise, anti freeze buying premix you are paying for water which is freely available from a tap. or here at the moment stick a bucket out side the door for 3 mins, also if you mix it you know it is correct, no more than 50/50 though, neat antifreeze actually freezes at a higher temp thatn 50/50 mix

Merv

well if you can still get radflush i would use it, also i tend too take the rad/and/or pipes off and backflush it , I:E take a hose and squirt water in from the bottom end it moves some of the crap that will not get moved other wise, anti freeze buying premix you are paying for water which is freely available from a tap. or here at the moment stick a bucket out side the door for 3 mins, also if you mix it you know it is correct, no more than 50/50 though, neat antifreeze actually freezes at a higher temp thatn 50/50 mix

Merv

You know merv thats probably not as daft as it sounds as it would be free of the heavy crap that forms scale like limestone and stuff.

• Who's Online (See full list)