Any comments on TDM 850's ?

DirtyDT
This post is 5410 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was looking on tinternet today and loved the look of the XT660r. This drew me to the TDM 850 and how I used to love the look of the bike. The question is, what are they like? Especially for a short ar*e. I know about cutting seats and lowering kits but general views would be welcome.

BTW the DT is NOT for sale.

Cheers :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

She'll go Bolero !, where are ya gonna hide that? ;)

She'll go Bolero !, where are ya gonna hide that? ;)

Hi Big Yin, I will wait for her to bend over.......................................

My Big Bruvvers TDM, comfiest bike he ever had I'm told. Fast enough for anyone in the real world, surprisingly good handling. His mate was 5' 8" and had no problem when they used to swap bikes for the afternoon.

000_0067.jpg

tdm 850 are great. i bought one a few months ago and they are really, really good all-rounders. i'm 5'6" and im a little tip-toey but not too bad. ive done 400+miles in a day. its quick in the bends and i get 50mpg+, only less if i really keep thrashing it.

i would recommend them totally, mine is a little tatty, but cost me £800 locally. top speed is 135mph at a push, but it'll sit comfortably on the motorway for 160miles or more at 90mph.

went out on saturday, did 350 miles (went to minehead, barnstaple, bideford, bude before looping south and going back to brizzle), even when it was pissing down the bike kept most of me dry. Hung the back-end out a few times too, without too much bother.

mines a 98 4tx.

kinda wonder what i'm gonna do soon, as i dont wanna run the EXUP and the tdm, and one may have to go. might have to be the EXUP as the tdm is comfortable and far better for my license.

any specific questions pm me. :D

I was looking on tinternet today and loved the look of the XT660r. This drew me to the TDM 850 and how I used to love the look of the bike. The question is, what are they like? Especially for a short ar*e. I know about cutting seats and lowering kits but general views would be welcome.

BTW the DT is NOT for sale.

Cheers :D

Hi Dirty

Gr8 bike I have one in my charge at the moment & tbh I love it .... but I do have some problems with the carbs (to the point if I whistle the carbs jump off) I suspect one of the floats is not floating or the valve seat is worn out but overall I rate it

Regards Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. I have read that the carbs can be problematic especially going out of balance. I have been looking at the carpe tdm site.

I did a phantom insurance quote on a 850 using "con fuesed dot com" and fully comp, 10k riding miles a year with a decent lock came in at £111. Not too shabby, I thought.

Hi Jim,

I did a phantom insurance quote on a 850 using "con fuesed dot com" and fully comp, 10k riding miles a year with a decent lock came in at £111. Not too shabby, I thought.

Hi Dirty,

I just had a quote for the 900 & the 2 FS1's at the same money fully comp (thro Slapper Nash) but I would guess £111 FC is good money !

Regards Jim

Hi Dirty,

I just had a quote for the 900 & the 2 FS1's at the same money fully comp (thro Slapper Nash) but I would guess £111 FC is good money !

Regards Jim

Ahhhhh the benefits of being an old bloke. SAGA holiday's here I come :lol:

Ahhhhh the benefits of being an old bloke. SAGA holiday's here I come :lol:

Oh OK,

i'm (Just or close 2) old enuff for the saga stuff but to date I still perfer the Strongbox to Horlicks which I guess still makes me part of the human race .... :lol: and I have no thoughts of going on a coach holiday !

Regards Jim

I am of SAGA age That means I can get someone to suck my crusts when I have a sandwich (oh er Misses). I can also be cantankerous because people expect it. It is great.

I am of SAGA age That means I can get someone to suck my crusts when I have a sandwich (oh er Misses). I can also be cantankerous because people expect it. It is great.

well done I'll join you shortly

Regards Jim

Don't call me Shorty!

:lol:

oh Ok the wife says that to me also ..... I would guess your not my wife as she is not tech savvy and is to frightened to ride the Divi or the Fizzy even tho she has the licence to ride either :lol:

Regards Jim

I ride a 97 TDM and cant disagree with anything said allready. Good all-rounder......... i would rather have my little pocket rocket on the road though for the fun factor.

The only real downside to the TDM is when you want to work on them. Its not the best designed bike ive worked on, i get the impession that its designed with the local bike dealer in mind. Its not home mechanic friendly.

Ive been a mechanic for 20 years and only ever worked on my own TDM so i guess their reliable aswell.......

Enjoy !

I think I need to sit on one and feel the force. I have had a KLE500 which I loved and the seat was fine. I was looking on stealbay earlier and wandered into thundercat/ace zxr fireblade ads. I have always wanted a zxr, riden one and it almost threw me but my days of superfast have gone. I like the TDM look and as a twin with decent size tubeless tyres it looks perfect. I think I can get away with the seat high without mods so just need to feel the weight as I dont want to feel like i am lugging around a large lump of metal.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online