Bikes You Wished You'd Owned

XT Alan
This post is 7246 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Following on from "What makes a real Biker". It would be fun to read of the bikes people lusted after, but never got to own at various points in their biking life.

A few of mine in no particular order are: Honda 305 (late 60s), 750 Four

Yamaha 80 (when I was 15), 750 triple (shaft drive) and first XJs

Suzuki GS1000 and Katanas

Triumph Trident (1970s)

Kawasaki ZX10

Norton Commando 750 fastback

The reason for not getting any of these was age or money.

I have never wanted a BMW, Harley, Ducati although the Benellis in the 60s and early 70s looked the part.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Old Benelli's are cool Alan 8) ......love those old "Out of the Norm" Italian machines :wink:

But more & more I find myself migrating towards Killer Stroker machines such as this.....

R1-Z.jpg

I've had a thing for these ever since the 1st time I laid eyes on one :lovex

......& What I'd give to own one like this :lovex .........

Rainey_Replica.jpg

A Wicked Cool Spondon-Framed RZV 500 8)

well i always wanted a rd400 from a very young age so got one of them(my dad took me on a white/red 400e with allspeeds and it left an impression), also wanted a rd350lc, got one of them too. i'd love to own a suzuki gsxr750(one of the very first ones), a z1, the gpz900 has always been a bike i plan to own also. rd500lc is one of my dream bikes as is rg500 suzuki's. also i can remember seeing my dads mate on his black and gold commando when i was a lad, it was the best thing i'd seen, a real bike.....big, black and loud! so one of them would be a bike i'd like, even just to have a ride on one, don't think i'd buy one though.

would you still buy a z1 pete? just wondering if you'd own a classic or you're firmly into modern bikes

I wouldn't own a Z1 now Alan cos that bike in todays world would be lacking in a lot of things....and I'm no mechanic as you know.

But this brings me on to a real peeve of mine....when DAS kiddie journalists of today test a classic then rip it apart by comparing it to more modern machines.

The fact of the matter is that you had to ride machines like the Z1, Kwak triples, GS750 (yes, that was a superb bike) in THAT era, not this. Same as music...listen to some of the great rock classics of the 60s and 70s now and they sound flat and dated. But in that era they were groundbreaking. I remember listening to Hendrix and "Purple Haze" in the Summer of 67 and I didn't know those sounds were coming from a guitar. It sounds ridiculous but you have to bear in mind that prior to Hendrix, no-one had ever made a guitar sound like that.

So you see with all classic stuff, you had to be there to feel it. Looking back and comparing just doesn't do it justice.

So you see with all classic stuff, you had to be there to feel it. Looking back and comparing just doesn't do it justice.

The best thing to do is: Look back & remeber that's how we got HERE 8) :wink:

very well put pete 8) that's the problem with alot of tests now, they're all being compaired to the latest fastest things on the scene regardless of how good an all round bike they actually are. i myself would have another classic, i like working on my bikes and i dont expect the world from a bike, just fun 8) and re: music, hendrix was the man 8) i still think rock of that era sounds better! todays bands just dont sound so raw and with so much feeling. i think i was born 30 years too late :lol:

i think i was born 30 years too late :lol:

I've thought the same of you too Alan...you'd have fitted in well years ago.

It's down to your father giving you those values, and more importantly, YOU taking them on board.

You sure you're not a frozen embryo from the 60's? :lol:

8) 8) 8)

You sure you're not a frozen embryo from the 60's?

could be, i'd bet the old man was into some funky things back then :lol:

I've thought the same of you too Alan...you'd have fitted in well years ago. It's down to your father giving you those values, and more importantly, YOU taking them on board.

Here, here.........Hats Off to Alan's Dad 8) .....Even more so, Hats Off to Alan for being a good lad & learning his lessons well :wink:

you guys are gonna give me a big head :lol: time to bring me down a peg or two...........ears on lids are great, suzuki is a fantastic company and hondas are the most hetero bike on the road 8) :lol: :twisted: that's bound to stir things :wink: :lol:

It changes every couple of years but here goes...

When i was a yung un, Triumph bonnies were a bike for real men.as a spotty teenager it was a Katana, that WAS the future!

Then the FZR thou EXUP, then the GSXR. Along came the Fireblade and completley reset the benchmark for sports bikes, how could anyone not love it! Ive owned the FZR and i currently own the Gix of my dreams but my tastes are now too expensive for myself.

An MV Augusta, a Ducati 996 or 999 or a Luvvverly Benelli TNT!