I went for a great ride on Saturday on amazing roads...

KFunk
This post is 5404 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It was my first time arranging something like this or making a long haul out these twisty roads on the bike, and everything went great. There was my beat-up old xs400, a buddy on a '79 KZ650, a 97 BMW R1100, and a local cop on a Vulcan 800.

Here's the route we took: http://tinyurl.com/olq8d2

Yup, we went down one of the twistiest parts of SR 555, aka "the Triple-Nickel". If you google that, you'll find lots of stories on that road. It's about as challenging as the Tail of the Dragon of NC, except there's no traffic. My main focus was on SR78 though. It's much smoother and you could hold some speed thru the corners with confidence. 555 is a bit twistier, but its really sketchy. There can be gravel or horsepoop or Amish buggies around the next corner.

As for my bike, she did great. It helps that I'm crazy, though. We kept a pretty quick pace thru all the corners, and it held right up with the others. For a while we let the R1100 out front so he could run fairly aggressive. I could keep up with him if I wanted, but it was a struggle. I finally decided "screw it, thats a bike that's light years beyond mine in suspension technology and engine power, its supposed to go faster than mine."

We had no real problems, great weather, and we're lucky to have some of the best roads in the country right here in Southeast Ohio.

Thanks for all the help in getting my bike to the point where I can trust it for such a trip.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Another good road in that area is Ohio SR374 through the Hocking Hills region. Good scenery, and the various state parks (Old Man's Cave, etc) are a good way to stretch your legs after a long ride.

There is a book titled "Motorcycling Across Ohio" which descibes your route as well as many others.

Another good road in that area is Ohio SR374 through the Hocking Hills region. Good scenery, and the various state parks (Old Man's Cave, etc) are a good way to stretch your legs after a long ride.

There is a book titled "Motorcycling Across Ohio" which descibes your route as well as many others.

Yeah, I used to work on 374 a lot... but I've never been on it with anything but a company truck. I don't remember anything all that wonderful about the road, but I mostly drove it slow looking for vent pipes to paint....I do need to get researching those roads some more. The guys want to go again somewhere, and I could probably get some more people this time.

OK, I just bought this book at the local bookstore. Time to get reading and planning the next journey.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online