Ow.

Cynic
This post is 5431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Coming back from dropping some bits up to dirty DT coming round the last bend after a 'spirited trip' home i spy a temporary slippy road sign, odd methinks, go a little easier down to about 40, its a 60 limit decreacing radius bend. Halfway round there is a two foot thick stripe of dry up right across the bloody road about an inch deep. Some dry some as far as i can see wet.

No way round it i was thinking about what to aim at for best results from the impending lowside, i went for a dry bit as far as it goes and God knows how but the front slipped and held. I can only think its down to the fact that it had done 60 odd fast miles in the heat hence supersticky and i ran through on a trailing throttle. The back wasnt so happy and started to come round a little and then snapped in prob for the same reasons as the front glad i was out of the throttle..

Trouble is it pulled the muscles in my shoulder as she wasn't subtle when it came to the snapping in bit, sort of tiny highside is the best description. Hence the Ow. Could have been a lot worse really. Its legal apparently too, due to the signs being there.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Breif update, apparently according to the folk next door its deisel, minor shunt earlier dumped it on the road and cars were tracking it around.

Sorry to hear about your "sidways" on the way home. It was great to meet up with you and thanks for the bits. I hope the coffee was up to standard :D

Thanks for taking the effort.

Cheers :D

Breif update, apparently according to the folk next door its deisel, minor shunt earlier dumped it on the road and cars were tracking it around.

Hi Cynic,

it was good you controled it and kept the bike on the straight & narrow but I would guess a fuel spill would be administered by the police until such time as the CC could clean it up & lay down the correct signs so it could be a Police problem & not Northamptonshire CC

Regards Jim

Sorry to hear about your "sidways" on the way home. It was great to meet up with you and thanks for the bits. I hope the coffee was up to standard :D

Thanks for taking the effort.

Cheers :D

Well, hmmm let me see. Maybe need a retest sometime......

You are always welcome.

I can't believe you turned down the offer of a sarnie from my other half.

Hi Cynic,

it was good you controled it and kept the bike on the straight & narrow but I would guess a fuel spill would be administered by the police until such time as the CC could clean it up & lay down the correct signs so it could be a Police problem & not Northamptonshire CC

Regards Jim

Thats a good point, but they were the metal signs not the floppy things the plod use. Either way apparently the slippy sign covers all sins, i am required to take appropriate action. Technically i was culpable for putting myself in harms way???.

Thats a good point, but they were the metal signs not the floppy things the plod use. Either way apparently the slippy sign covers all sins, i am required to take appropriate action. Technically i was culpable for putting myself in harms way???.

Hi Cynic,

in my area it is part of my job to 'correct' fuel spills ... if I run down in the road sweeper I will brush the area at least twice then use the lance of the sweeper to ensure the road is ok and errect signs indicating a fuel spilage ... in this district we use floppy signs (like your police) in order to get them in the sweeper lorry .. tbh after all the cleaning stuff is in the truck you very little room for signs

Regards Jim

we had a fuel spill near a roundabout. the police closed that part of the road whilst waiting for the cleaners.

You can normally smell the stuff before you see it, then its keep the bike upright till you find dry road!!

we had a fuel spill near a roundabout. the police closed that part of the road whilst waiting for the cleaners.

You can normally smell the stuff before you see it, then its keep the bike upright till you find dry road!!

And when we clean it and put up some signs I would guess you need to slow down .... unless we do a proper job & the road is back to correct

Regards Jim

And when we clean it and put up some signs I would guess you need to slow down .... unless we do a proper job & the road is back to correct

Regards Jim

Right got the facts now. Couple of motorcycles had a coming together somehow and ended up on the outside of the bend, ambulances, police etc. Mate of mine came past it coming home from a night out early sat morning(walk of shame drank the taxi fare). The liquid was the life blood of one of the bikes leaking out. So i actually rode through the accident detrius on the way OUT to dirty's without issue, and i had seen the signs on the way out but nothing obvious was there.

The dryup on closer inspection is actually catlitter that someone unknown has spread in a wellmeaning gesture on the road as the tarmac looks like it has been eaten by the fluids (petrol probably).

So it looks like a bike accident nearly caused a bike accident, you gotta love irony. And if ONE more person tells me most accidents happen within 2miles of home i'll............

Most accidents happen within FIVE miles of home.

Glad you didn't go down, chap. I wasn't so lucky last time - Lightweight 125 bike, wet road, drizzle and despite being upright, a feather touch on the brakes sent me straight down in a Lowside.

Hi Cynic,

in my area it is part of my job to 'correct' fuel spills ... if I run down in the road sweeper I will brush the area at least twice then use the lance of the sweeper to ensure the road is ok and errect signs indicating a fuel spilage ... in this district we use floppy signs (like your police) in order to get them in the sweeper lorry .. tbh after all the cleaning stuff is in the truck you very little room for signs

Regards Jim

Nice wheels Jim :)

roadsweeper.jpg

Nice wheels Jim :)

roadsweeper.jpg

Hi Jim

not quite the truck has bigger brushes :lol: tbh I have only gone out in it twice ... as my forte is bin lorries, but both times I have been out have been due to fuel spills on islands which oddly enuff were blamed on the bin lorries but when I got to both problems they were both on the wrong side of the island for the bin lorry to have spilt fuel .... unless the crews had gone out and come straight back in !!! :rolleyes:

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online