XS400 Headlight

christoph21
This post is 5413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Would all of the 7" round headlights from 1981 Yamahas be compatible with each other (Maxims, other XSs and so on)? I have a burned out low beam and can't find a used replacement for my exact bike and the OEM part is WAY too expensive.

Quick link to the part diagram. I need #6

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycl...sh-1981/o/m8262

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Christoph21, I have a complete headlight assembly from an '83 xs400 maxim that i just pulled off three days ago. I'm going for a smaller fixture but other than the plastic housing looking a bit faded, the old one works great. I just replaced the bulb 9 months ago. I'll let it go cheep if it works for you. Lots of other '83 parts also if you need anything else. I'm down to bare frame in the midst of a major overhaul.

Just looked at your diagram link. You should be able to get that part from your local autoparts store no problem, I'd say under $20. That's the bulb that I was talking about replacing just a bit ago. Good luck let me know if you have trouble finding it.

The bulbs on bikes of this age tend to be either just slightly larger or slightly smaller than the standard auto bulbs. It usually reguires going to an aftermarket headlight bucket to use one.

I went in to a couple auto stores actually to try and get a bulb because I know it's a reasonably standard halogen bulb. Each one sent me right back out the door saying that I would break those triangle metal bits holding the bulb in the housing. I would rather buy the whole #6 part of the diagram because it's such an easy installation, but, damn..those things are too spending.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online