chain juming

keno
This post is 5562 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a 98 fazer acting up,problem is when riding slowly behind town traffic or even pulling away there is a lot of noise from front sprocket cover or the clutch cover (hard to tell)and the chain sounds like it is trying to jump off the front sprocket,also if the bike is on the centrestand the chain jumps up and down and sound like it is jumping on the front sprocket making a terrible noise,i have changed the chain and sprockets and replaced the nut and washer but still the same,chain is also tensioned proper 30-40 slack,bike rides fine changes gears fine just slow riding 10-15mph and pulling away causes this, bike has only done 10700 miles, could a stiff rear sprocket carrier bearing cause this,i checked the bearing by spinning the carrier on my finger as hard as i could and it only managed about 4-5 full revolutions there was no grinding noise just seems a bit stiff, a friend had a spare carrier so brought it around and his spins forever but has a slight noise coming from it.

All help appreciated. :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

check that the wheel is aligned properly using the markings. also check that when you had the wheel off to change the sprockets that the spacers are on the proper sides.

good luck ;)

check that the wheel is aligned properly using the markings. also check that when you had the wheel off to change the sprockets that the spacers are on the proper sides.

good luck ;)

yep all straight and spacers on right sides,this problem is doing my head in. :angry:

did you buy the chain and sprocket as a kit?

what i mean is the chain links the correct size for the sprocket i.e. correct pitch, width?

that said if it was doing it before they were renewed there may be a problem elsewhere.

is there any play on the sprocket shaft at the engine?

bought as a kit "DID 530 X RING" checked sprocket shaft left-right & up-down with no play,thought it might have been the shaft bearing still hope its not :blink: any ideas cos i,am stumped.

you say the back wheel is set straight with the markings, is there maybe a spacer missing from the front sprocket that will cause it to be out of line? :blink:

if the bike has done this since you have had it then maybe whoever fitted the last chain and sprocket left it out which means that you have put back together the same way?

do you have a workshop manual that may show a diagram?

if not try searching for a parts list on the web that may show it.

Bike was running on original chain and sprockets,sprockets showed no sign of wear chain had a few tight spots so renewed as a set,there is no spacer for this bike,might try changing rear sprocket carrier bearing see what happens,when i had the carrier off last week i span it on my finger and the inner race of the bearing was moving slightly in the direction the carrier was moving,dont think that is normal but not sure?

Are the sprockets 15 and 48? You said you brought a kit but you may have got the wrong toothed front sprocket. If you put a loose link in the chain I would check that you have not pinched it so that it is not able to move around the smaller sprocket.

At least the plaster will go off quick in this heat.

The same therory applies to all the links, loose or fixed. I would check that they are moving freely up and down. If one is sticking then it will show up on the smaller sprocket. if you bend your index finger to the curve of the back sprocket you will see how much the chain needs to move. Now do this to the curve of the front sprocket and you can see that the chain needs to come in on itself a lot more. All the links on the chain need to be free to curve that much.

Not very technical, I know

Are the sprockets 15 and 48? You said you brought a kit but you may have got the wrong toothed front sprocket. If you put a loose link in the chain I would check that you have not pinched it so that it is not able to move around the smaller sprocket.

Yep 15-48 tooth,soft link on chain pressed 20mm width same as rest of links,rivets nice no cracks,

chain smooth when wheel pushed by hand soon as its in gear chain starts jumping looks like it wants to jump of front sprocket and noise from front sprocket or clutch side,not sure if noise is just vibrating through to the clutch side.

Just changed the carrier bearing and still the same,was looking at the rear wheel while in gear and on centre stand and it is juddering and noisey,i checked the wheel bearings by spinning on the spindle while out of the bike and was smooth with no noise,tryed different settings for wheel alignement but still the same,only seems to do when in gear,also rechecked front sprocket for play and it is solid no movement,doing my head in,HELP! :angry:

Heres a quick vid of problem looks worse in real life than on vid rear wheel also judders and stops and starts hard to see on the vid.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online