Fork oil leak

Vincent Moy
This post is 5431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So my 82 Maxim 400 seems like has been leaking fork oil for a while with its previous owner. I have been actively riding the bike for only 2 weeks. Other than not very good looking it doesn't affect handling and braking. I am thinking it may even leak out most of the oil already because the other day I push down the front and it won't bounce back.

I already ordered the oil and dust seal and should arrive anytime soon. I am wondering should I order a pair of new forks altogether.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if the forks are not pitted or bent i would not bother ordering new ones ($$$$) :blink:

just go with the new seals.

i would look at why they are not bouncing back, do they feel tight?

when you have them off check the springs for length and any damage.

good luck ;)

if the forks are not pitted or bent i would not bother ordering new ones ($$$$) :blink:

just go with the new seals.

i would look at why they are not bouncing back, do they feel tight?

when you have them off check the springs for length and any damage.

good luck ;)

I will, thanks!

I am wondering where can I get some fork spring for it though. I've been looking around but have no luck so far.

you may find that the springs are interchangeable with other yamaha models, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so somebody may know.

check the length first and flush out the forks to get any shit out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online