time for another good idea bad idea?(1982 virago 750)

74tx500
This post is 4898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well i have a few questions about parts interchange and if i should even try things. well i bought a 1982 XV920 fuel tank since it holds more fuel then the stock 750 tank. question #1: the 920 tank has 1 petcock my 750 has 2. can i use one 750 petcock to feed 2 carbs? i'm willing to make a place for a second petcock on the tank but if i don't have to that would make things more simple.

next question (#2): i bought a use 920 rear end(bike is shaft drive). i know the 750 have a rear gear ratio of 3.21:1 and the 920 has 3.14:1. can i swap the 920 rearend in? i trying to lower my RPMs on the hwy. and well if i math is right even if i am math tard i should drop around 200-250RPM. would this be a bad idea?

last question is about parts and if i can use parts from a newer engine/tranns in a older engine/tranns. i want to make my 750 into a 920(engine swap). my 750 is using around 1 quart of oil every 1,000-1,500 miles. which isn't super bad. but i'd like to rebuild a 920 engine but use newer tranny gears so i can get the lower 5th gear ratio used in the 84 and newer viragos. can i do that? as i said before i want to make this bike into something i could take on a trip wothout having to fill up every 120 miles.

any help would be great! saying i'm crazy works also.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The fuel tank may work but you will need a T fitting to make a fuel line go to both carbs. Getting it in there without kinks or pinching it may be tricky.

If the rear end will bolt up and everything will fit (splined shafts,ring gear into the wheel,ect),why not.

I dont know if the motor will swap into the 750 frame or not. You will also need the wiring harness and CDI box for the ignition to work. It will be a pain for sure. The starters on those old XV's were about as bad as they came and a lot of parts are NLA. Once a major part goes bad and you can not find a used one the bike is done. They are good riding bikes.

cool! i was hopping the petcock would flow enough to feed 2 carbs. if i can make a luggage rack from scratch i think i can rig up some fuel hose.

on the rearend. awesomeness! i hope that will bring me down rpm wise enough so i can get closer to 40mpg. my speedometer shouldn't be off right? since that's run off the front wheel not the rear.

on the engine it was a thought. more power lower 5th gear better mpg.

and on the starter. i had that fixed. it stopped working at church. had a friend push me acrossed the church parking lot to get it started.

• 1 year later...

Can i Ask if you ever attempted the engine swap, i am in a position where i can pick up a midnight virago that may have a running 920, or a 920 xv rh/rk model to do some customization with my 81 750. Was very curious as to the result how what you did.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online