Oil filter question

Vincent Moy
This post is 5435 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

The other day I changed the oil in my 82 400 Maxim along with the filter. However, I don't recall I put a washer (#7) between the filter and the cover. Also, My filter was just sitting on the cover with this side facing down.OIF016.gif

My question is, is the filter supposes to just sitting on #1 or should it somehow click with the cover?? partimage.gif

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There should be a spring and a washer between the filter and the cup, holding the filter against the engine. If you don't have the spring there you will not get filtered oil, and maybe not get any oil. Also, if you don't have the washer on there but have the spring, the spring can push the rubber piece in the filter into the filter and again make the filter no longer work.

There should be a spring and a washer between the filter and the cup, holding the filter against the engine. If you don't have the spring there you will not get filtered oil, and maybe not get any oil. Also, if you don't have the washer on there but have the spring, the spring can push the rubber piece in the filter into the filter and again make the filter no longer work.

But the above diagram is copied directly from yamaha web site, and it shows no spring. And so does the serive manual I have.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online